Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi ~ I'm in year 12 now studying Classical Civilisation, Film Studies and German. I don't know much outside of the spec but I really love Classics and want to continue studying it or Ancient History into uni (Probably as a combination with Archaeology)

My problem is that there are so many variants on these courses and I don't really understand the differences. I love Classics but I thought Ancient History would be broader, but I also don't really want to lose the literature and mythology side of things.

+ Also, I don't want to study Latin or Greek, but I know you don't with all Classics courses.

Hopefully someone here understands the differences between these kinds of courses better than I do, any help is appreciated ^_^
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I was looking at Ancient History last night. I think it will boil down to doing the research. Find out what your grades might be then simply work through UCAS looking at the courses. It seems like you want a balance of Achaeology, History and Lit without the languages. I cant see me finding out any other way.

ReputationRep:
    Look at ancient history courses at unis with Classics departments as they'll often allow you to take other modules (literature, mythology, art etc). Other unis will have flexible courses called Classical Studies or Classical Civilization while some unis are thinking of calling all their related degrees Classics and you pick which path you'd rather choose.

Although you say you don't want to study the languages, try to keep an open mind - you might find yourself inspired to learn them after a particularly good module for example. And if you want to do an MA etc, they'll be compulsory. As a rule, they're not compulsory on ancient history and classical civilisation undergrad courses though.

ReputationRep:
    Classics degrees include Ancient History, Philosophy, Literature and Language. Classical Civilisation degrees are the same but without the language aspect (sometimes called Classical Studies or similar) - this would probably be the best for you if you want to keep the broad aspect and do literature and ancient history. Most will also allow you to do archaeology modules

Ancient History will actually be much narrower as it wouldnt allow you to do much of the literature or philosophy, although it would probably let you do the odd module depending on the university!

Let me know what grades you're predicted and I can send you some courses and unis to look at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Let me know what grades you're predicted and I can send you some courses and unis to look at
    Wow thank you so much that would be amazing 😊 I don't have my official predicted grades yet but the highest I'm expecting is ABB, and hopefully lowest I'll get is BBC. I'm mostly looking at campus unis in England and avoiding large cities. Any guidance at all is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    Classics degrees include Ancient History, Philosophy, Literature and Language. Classical Civilisation degrees are the same but without the language aspect (sometimes called Classical Studies or similar) - this would probably be the best for you if you want to keep the broad aspect and do literature and ancient history. Most will also allow you to do archaeology modules

Ancient History will actually be much narrower as it wouldnt allow you to do much of the literature or philosophy, although it would probably let you do the odd module depending on the university!

Some unis are super flexible - on my course I ended up doing a 50/50 split between history and language & literature.

OP - you just need to go through the unis websites. There aren't hundreds with Classics departments so it won't take long. But like I said, do make sure they have Classics departments or you will only be limited to the history side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KateemClassciv)
    Wow thank you so much that would be amazing 😊 I don't have my official predicted grades yet but the highest I'm expecting is ABB, and hopefully lowest I'll get is BBC. I'm mostly looking at campus unis in England and avoiding large cities. Any guidance at all is appreciated
    No problem

Here are some you could consider that are within your grade range and will allow you to do literature, history and archaeology (some with optional joint honour archaeology courses)!

1. Reading, ABB-BBB, Classical Studies/Archaeology and Classical Studies - http://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-st...l-studies.aspx
    2. Manchester, ABB - BBB, Classical Studies - http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...ourse-details/
    3. Royal Holloway, ABB, Classical Studies - https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/clas...alstudies.aspx
    4. Nottingham, ABB, Classical Civilisation/Archaeology and Classical Civilisation - http://nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/cour...ilisation.aspx
    5. Birmingham, ABB, Classical Literature and Civilisation - http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergra...urseDetailsTab
    6. Warwick, ABB, Classical Civilisation - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/unde.../courses/q820/

Hope that helps, considering your factors for campus and not large cities - I'd probably look at Royal Holloway and Warwick first although you may find you like some of the others after consideration!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much this helps loads, I will definitely check these out! I have found looking at courses on my own a little daunting haha. I'll be booking open days very soon ^_^ Thanks again!!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    Have you looked into Egyptology? The entry requirements for Swansea are BBC, I think, but I don't know if you want to go to Wales. I think they may do Ancient History as well?

ReputationRep:
    Egyptology does interest me greatly but finding a course that teaches modules on Ancient Egypt + everything else I want .... i'm not sure one exists haha. Wales is a bit far from home for me so i'm keeping my search within in England ^_^
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by KateemClassciv)
    Egyptology does interest me greatly but finding a course that teaches modules on Ancient Egypt + everything else I want .... i'm not sure one exists haha. Wales is a bit far from home for me so i'm keeping my search within in England ^_^
    Ah, okay. Best of luck on your search, then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.