S3 sample nonsense Watch

AlmostNotable
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
You can't combine the mean and the variance of a sample right?
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AlmostNotable)
You can't combine the mean and the variance of a sample right?
Nope?
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zacken)
Nope?
Nope. or Nope?
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope. or Nope?
As in, if you have a population X \sim D and you take samples X_1, X_2, \cdots, X_n \sim D then the variance of the samples are fundamentally distinct from the mean of the samples. I'm unsure as to what you mean by 'combine'? When calculating the mean of the samples, you don't concern yourself with the variance and likewise the other way around.
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
As in, if you have a population X \sim D and you take samples X_1, X_2, \cdots, X_n \sim D then the variance of the samples are fundamentally distinct from the mean of the samples. I'm unsure as to what you mean by 'combine'? When calculating the mean of the samples, you don't concern yourself with the variance and likewise the other way around.
No wait.

X~D(n,m)
How would I do this P(X1+X2+..+X50>t)=?

50X~(50n,m)
or
P(Xn>(t/50))
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No wait.

X~D(n,m)
How would I do this P(X1+X2+..+X50>t)=?

50X~(50n,m)
or
P(Xn>(t/50))
I'm going to assume you mean normal here.

You would do Y = X_1 + \cdots + X_{50} \sim N(50n, 50m) so P(Y > t) = \mathbb{P}\left(Z > \frac{t - 50n}{\sqrt{50m}}\right)
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
I'm going to assume you mean normal here.

You would do Y = X_1 + \cdots + X_{50} \sim N(50n, 50m) so P(Y > t) = \mathbb{P}\left(Z > \frac{t - 50n}{\sqrt{50m}}\right)
Not normal
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not normal
E(Y) = 50n and \text{Var}(Y) = 50m then. But you don't know the distribution of Y.
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
Y \sim D(50n, 50m) then. Then use whatever the CDF/PDF of D is to find the probability.

If the population had a mean of m and a variance of n. A sample of 50 is taken, how do I find the P((all 50)>t)?

Population is not normal right?
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If the population had a mean of m and a variance of n. A sample of 50 is taken, how do I find the P(sample>t)?

Population is not normal right?
I edited my answer, sorry. You don't. You can't talk about it in stuff like that generally. Sums of two random variables with distributions of D don't necessarily have to have a D distribution.
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
I edited my answer, sorry. You don't. You can't talk about it in stuff like that generally. Sums of two random variables with distributions of D don't necessarily have to have a D distribution.
I am probably asking wrong. I'll make a question.

An average ticket for a game of poker is $2 with a standard deviation of $0.7. You want to play 100 games and have $220 to spend on tickets (can't spend winnings). What's the probability that you will run out?

How would I do this?
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am probably asking wrong. I'll make a question.

A average ticket for a game of poker is $2 with a standard deviation of $1. You are going to play 100 games and have $220 to spend on tickets (can't spend winnings). What's the probability that you will run out?

How would I do this?
The expected value will be $200 and the standard deviation will be $10. Then, I think you'll need to invoke the CLT and assume it's approximately normally distributed to complete the question.
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
The expected value will be $200 and the standard deviation will be $10. Then, I think you'll need to invoke the CLT and assume it's approximately normally distributed to complete the question.
So will the new thing be T~N(200,100)?

How can you just combine the random variables if you don't know how they are distributed?
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How did you get 10..
Answered your previous question, should now be $7 in accordance to your modified question.
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
Answered your previous question, should now be $7 in accordance to your modified question.
I modified my second question to your answer of my modified question.
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I modified my second question to your answer of my modified question.
E(X_1 + X_2 + \cdots + X_n) = E(X_1) + E(X_2) + \cdots + E(X_n) holds for any random variable, doesn't depend on its distribution at all. Proof involves some wacky marginal stuff. Same for the variance (although variance depends on independence).
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
E(X_1 + X_2 + \cdots + X_n) = E(X_1) + E(X_2) + \cdots + E(X_n) holds for any random variable, doesn't depend on its distribution at all. Proof involves some wacky marginal stuff. Same for the variance (although variance depends on independence).
Okay now I am more confused, how did you get 7?
0.7*100=70/games = 0.7
Zacken
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Okay now I am more confused, how did you get 7?
0.7*100=70/games = 0.7
You said the standard deviation was 0.7, so the variance is 0.49. Adding up the variances gives 0.49 * 100 = 49 is the variance. So standard deviation is sqrt(49) = 7.
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
You said the standard deviation was 0.7, so the variance is 0.49. Adding up the variances gives 0.49 * 100 = 49 is the variance. So standard deviation is sqrt(49) = 7.
Oh right that's how its done if we knew the mean/variance of our games but we have sampling here.
AlmostNotable
Rep:
?
The question was

An average ticket for a game of poker is $2 with a standard deviation of $0.7. You want to play 100 games and have $220 to spend on tickets (can't spend winnings). What's the probability that you will run out?

The average of all games is $2, not the average of your games.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (97)
18.91%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (326)
63.55%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.68%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.87%

Watched Threads