Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I picked 4 options, ICT, Business Studies, History and Graphics.

At the time, for some stupid reason I put ICT second and History 3rd, business 4th. That was then, I now definitely don't want to do ICT as I think it's just another year of not being taught anything

Now, I've been told that my two favourite courses, Graphics and History overlap. So I'm stuck with Business which may or may not be alright, ICT which quite frankly I want to kill, Graphics, and I've been forced to choose Physics.

History, as subject I adore, and get A*'s in all the time, for Mocks and past papers, with teachers who say the best. That subject I can't do anymore. And I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I picked History as a substitute for English, and Physics for Maths. They overlap quite significantly and provide the same skills for UNI, but I like them better. Now I've been told, no, you can't do it.

And I'm also not allowed to change Ict or Business apparently. Not that there's anything to change them to, as stupidly there's only one History Course which overlaps with graphics.

Sorry if this is overdramatic, but I've just been royally ****ed up. I'm going to hate ICT, and miss History, yet there's nothing I can do. I could write a letter, but I've been told you can;t change your other options, and they can't change the option blocks.

Whats worse is that many of the people called in were set 1 and 2, people getting A's and B's, who in my mind, and many others, should be given priority. Whilst the set 3's who may not be even staying at the school, get all 4 options without a hitch. And also the fact there's 2 media studies, 2 sociology, 2 ICT, neither of which are full. Yet only 1 history, and it's full.

Any advice on what to do? I genuinely can't do anything aside from just be sad, they have ****ed me up, and I doubt I can change anything.

ReputationRep:
    Any possibilities of choosing a different Sixth Form or College, travelling to another town? Trust me don't do the course that you not going to like as you will just waste your time. It is better to do what you truly enjoy in life rather than do the subject that you are going to hate with passion. I was doing IT and I loved it, but because no one chosen it apart from me and school have seen cuts in staff I was forced to choose business in my second year. This worked really badly as I now will have 2 AS instead of one full A level which is a bit ridiculous really. But hopefully I will still be able to do what I want in uni. Not saying that business was bad, but it wasn't as interesting to do the course that you are not passionate about. It becomes boring, it just literally becomes like a routine and you do it, because you have to do it, but not because you actually enjoy doing it. And grades can also drop as a result of this.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, not really. I looked at sutton college, and there's less than a week until they stop accepting proper entries. Their history course also seems less interesting, and different to what I'm doing. I may try to write a letter, see if I can change things, but I doubt it will work. It's a bit late to change now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klanny)

At the time, for some stupid reason I put ICT second and History 3rd, business 4th. That was then, I now definitely don't want to do ICT as I think it's just another year of not being taught anything

Now, I've been told that my two favourite courses, Graphics and History overlap. So I'm stuck with Business which may or may not be alright, ICT which quite frankly I want to kill, Graphics, and I've been forced to choose Physics.

History, as subject I adore, and get A*'s in all the time, for Mocks and past papers, with teachers who say the best. That subject I can't do anymore. And I don't know what I'm supposed to do.

I picked History as a substitute for English, and Physics for Maths. They overlap quite significantly and provide the same skills for UNI, but I like them better. Now I've been told, no, you can't do it.

And I'm also not allowed to change Ict or Business apparently. Not that there's anything to change them to, as stupidly there's only one History Course which overlaps with graphics.

Sorry if this is overdramatic, but I've just been royally ****ed up. I'm going to hate ICT, and miss History, yet there's nothing I can do. I could write a letter, but I've been told you can;t change your other options, and they can't change the option blocks.

Whats worse is that many of the people called in were set 1 and 2, people getting A's and B's, who in my mind, and many others, should be given priority. Whilst the set 3's who may not be even staying at the school, get all 4 options without a hitch. And also the fact there's 2 media studies, 2 sociology, 2 ICT, neither of which are full. Yet only 1 history, and it's full.

Any advice on what to do? I genuinely can't do anything aside from just be sad, they have ****ed me up, and I doubt I can change anything.

Did you apply to any other sixth forms? If you cant do the options you truly want to do I would strongly advice you to go to a different sixth form, there is nothing worse than being studying a level subjects you dont like, its very likely you might not do as well on them. Depending on the area look at other sixth forms to see if they have space or on GCSE results day call loads of sixth forms in your area to see if they have space and the subjects you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klanny)

Write a letter, email the curriculum organiser and maybe even see if you can go and talk with the History teacher or head teacher of this college (this is presuming you're going to a different school - if not, you can do the same things, it just will be much easier to see the teacher and head teacher etc.) Just do everything you can to attempt to change - if they see how much effort you've put into History, and how much effort you're going to in order to change these options, you might strike lucky.

It sounds really horrible, the position you're in. It's lucky that my school still lets us change around this time, but I don't know how long that will last.

At the last resort, just be lucky that you've got your other 3 options and enter A Level ICT (if you end up having to do it) with a grain of salt - don't just think "this is so pointless why am I here I hate it eurghhh", as this will only make you more annoyed about the situation. Who knows, you may even end up enjoying it. You honestly don't know as of yet if you'll hate it, but you will for no reason if you think about the fact that you can't do History.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.