Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  500.5 KBAttachment 537133537135I've attempted many times and looked at mark scheme ( off specimen paper edexcel and does not really give a good interpretation of the working) please somebody help? I just don't get what distances to measure from which point and thus I keep getting the wrong answer.

Sorry for poor quality photo (it's part A i am looking for help to do)
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    XP is the distance between points X and P
    JP is the distance between points J and P
    FJ is the muscle force applied at J
    FX is the bite force at point X

rough answer would be XP FX = JP FJ

could be improved by resolving FJ using some trig as it's not perpendicular to the line Y... which they may expect for 5 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    XP is the distance between points X and P
    JP is the distance between points J and P
    FJ is the muscle force applied at J
    FX is the bite force at point
    rough answer would be XP FX = JP FJ

could be improved by resolving FJ using some trig as it's not perpendicular to the line Y... which they may expect for 5 marks.
    That's exactly what I did with the sin of the angle between the perpendicular and the muscle force. Idk I'll have another look later. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.