AQA Sociology - Tuesday 24th May 2016. HELP! Watch

rhia9
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So tomorrow I've gotta sit paper 2 for AQA sociology (new spec). I'm doing families and households and then of course the methods question.
Does anybody have any predictions on what's going to come up?! I'm hoping not Demography 😞. And same for the methods question?
Any revision tips would be appreciated as I'm doing some well overdue revision tonight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
louise1199
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing the same exam tomorrow and I have no idea what's going to come up - there's so much I don't know. What do you hope will come up? I hope Demography doesn't come up either
rhia9
Rep:
?
(Original post by louise1199)
I'm doing the same exam tomorrow and I have no idea what's going to come up - there's so much I don't know. What do you hope will come up? I hope Demography doesn't come up either
I've definitely left this way too late! I'm hoping something along the lines of the domestic division of labour comes up, maybe feminism 10 marker. As for the methods question, I'm hoping for observation/questionnaires. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
louise1199
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rhia9)
I've definitely left this way too late! I'm hoping something along the lines of the domestic division of labour comes up, maybe feminism 10 marker. As for the methods question, I'm hoping for observation/questionnaires. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wold like the division of labour to come up, I think I could write a decent answer for that.I wouldn't mind feminism as an essay either. For the methods, I think I could maybe answer questionnaires or interviews. How do we answer a methods question in this paper? is it the same as education where the method is used to investigate something?
rhia9
Rep:
?
I wold like the division of labour to come up, I think I could write a decent answer for that.I wouldn't mind feminism as an essay either. For the methods, I think I could maybe answer questionnaires or interviews. How do we answer a methods question in this paper? is it the same as education where the method is used to investigate something?
I believe in this paper we're given a question like "evaluate the strengths that sociologists see in using participant observation for their research" it's not specific. I've been given the advice to use a method called P.E.R.V.E.R.T in my methods answers - practical, ethical, reliable, validity, example, representativeness and theories. It's so you cover everything. Remember if you get a question about advantages, talk about the advantages for 75% of the essay and talk about disadvantages for about 25% as an evaluation. Remember in the exam to just evaluate EVERYTHING!! You literally get so much credit for doing that. If you say something about feminists, say they're outdated and briefly explain why i.e more career aspects for women etc. Its also good to evaluate different perspectives with others i.e Marxists say blah blah blah then say functionalists reject this view. If demography comes up I'm in trouble haha. It's so difficult to remember! I'm probably gonna be up until early hours of the morning revising tonight 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
louise1199
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rhia9)
I believe in this paper we're given a question like "evaluate the strengths that sociologists see in using participant observation for their research" it's not specific. I've been given the advice to use a method called P.E.R.V.E.R.T in my methods answers - practical, ethical, reliable, validity, example, representativeness and theories. It's so you cover everything. Remember if you get a question about advantages, talk about the advantages for 75% of the essay and talk about disadvantages for about 25% as an evaluation. Remember in the exam to just evaluate EVERYTHING!! You literally get so much credit for doing that. If you say something about feminists, say they're outdated and briefly explain why i.e more career aspects for women etc. Its also good to evaluate different perspectives with others i.e Marxists say blah blah blah then say functionalists reject this view. If demography comes up I'm in trouble haha. It's so difficult to remember! I'm probably gonna be up until early hours of the morning revising tonight 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thank you, it's more difficult since teachers don't have many examples because of the new specification and we have to retake these same exams next year. I don't think i'm going to do very well on this paper because I focused a little too much on the education paper. I feel like any way I try to revise isn't actually working and it's annoying because I still haven't found a suitable way so I can remember everything
rhia9
Rep:
?
Ah thank you, it's more difficult since teachers don't have many examples because of the new specification and we have to retake these same exams next year. I don't think i'm going to do very well on this paper because I focused a little too much on the education paper. I feel like any way I try to revise isn't actually working and it's annoying because I still haven't found a suitable way so I can remember everything
That's my problem too. With education I was really confident that I was going to pass and I'm sure I have as the 20 marker was very good to me! We were taught families and households back in September-October and education in April so that's probably why. I do revision cards - read a topic in the book and remember 3 key points from each subheading to write on the card. Works for me but not everybody. How did you revise for education?

Posted from TSR Mobile
louise1199
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rhia9)
That's my problem too. With education I was really confident that I was going to pass and I'm sure I have as the 20 marker was very good to me! We were taught families and households back in September-October and education in April so that's probably why. I do revision cards - read a topic in the book and remember 3 key points from each subheading to write on the card. Works for me but not everybody. How did you revise for education?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We were taught education in September/October but I think I probably spent more time revising it because we learnt it so long ago and now I'm not prepared for this paper at all. For education, I also used revision cards which weren't too bad but I struggle at putting information into note form. So then I made tables so in 1 column I'd have a name like Durkheim and then next to it I would write everything he said and I did this for everything. Under each table I put an essay on the topic so if it were Functionalism i'd have an essay about functionalism and education under the table so I had the notes and the essay all in one.
saby2112
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think demography will come up because it is introduced to this year spec I think
louise1199
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by saby2112)
I think demography will come up because it is introduced to this year spec I think
Is that new? I didn't know that haha well, I don't really know enough about it
rhia9
Rep:
?
(Original post by saby2112)
What are they key things you've revised for demography? I can't remember figures and stats

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.75%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%