Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it okay for me not to revise last year poems with hopes that they wouldn't be repeated consecutively? How much is everyone else revising?

I feel like whatever poem it is, I'll compare it to either Sonnet 116 and Farmer's Bride (my two best poems that link to almost every 'romantic' relationship poem, still thinking of a poem to compare with any 'familial' relationship poem).

I so need to get an high A* on this one to save the sinking ship of the Lit 1 exam I did today (I did Mister Pip and Lord of the Flies, which was okay but not enough for a solid A*).

And how worried are you for this exam on a scale of 1-10 (10 meaning very).

ReputationRep:
    Never ever ignore a poem or part of the spec in general. I did that for philosophy and it was a big mistake! Yes you have to prioritize, but that doesn't mean completely dismissing a poem. Make sure you have at least gone over each one, read over it and familiarize yourself with some key quotes or themes! but focus on the gaps in the papers and poems that haven't come up for a few years! you will have a choice so don't panic too much, you can do it. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    In Paris with You and THCM has never come up before!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloxx)
    Never ever ignore a poem or part of the spec in general. I did that for philosophy and it was a big mistake! Yes you have to prioritize, but that doesn't mean completely dismissing a poem. Make sure you have at least gone over each one, read over it and familiarize yourself with some key quotes or themes! but focus on the gaps in the papers and poems that haven't come up for a few years! you will have a choice so don't panic too much, you can do it. Good luck
    Thanks, I'll take that on board and hope the philosophy went well nonetheless. Good luck on Friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nurani61105)
    Is it okay for me not to revise last year poems with hopes that they wouldn't be repeated consecutively?
    I'd still revise them, just in case you need to compare the poem with the named poem given in the question.

(Original post by Nurani61105)
    And how worried are you for this exam on a scale of 1-10 (10 meaning very).
    7 , I thought Paper 1 went well though in terms of me achieving an A*; but remembering all the details of these poems will be tricky.

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for this Friday exam? ://

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasnia'x)
    Any predictions for this Friday exam? ://
    My teacher seems adamant that To His Coy Mistress will come, but I don't know, they said the same thing last year.

ReputationRep:
    Dose anybody have a structure that they use for the comparison section of the paper??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elm016)
    Dose anybody have a structure that they use for the comparison section of the paper??
    My teacher said that the easiest way to get full marks is by:

Intro (don't get marks for it so you don't really need one but it helps me cultivate my points)

Comparison Point 1 - Paragraph 1 - Talk about Poem 1
    - Paragraph 2 - Talk about Poem 2

Comparison Point 2 - Paragraph 3 - Talk about Poem 1
    - Paragraph 4 - Talk about Poem 2

Comparison Point 3 - Paragraph 5 - Talk about Poem 1
    - Paragraph 6 - Talk about Poem 2

Conclusion

Sorry if this seems confusing but it's what we learnt and I find it really useful. It's mainly 6 paragraphs with a conclusion. There's three main comparative points and I add this in the main point of paragraph 1, 3 and 5. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elm016)
    What the poem is about v what the poem is about
    Language v language
    Language v language
    Form V form
    Structure v structure
    Personal response (I think)

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.