Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Im currently in Year 12 and will be applying to Uni next academic year. Ive only really considered Medicine this year but fortunately, I have managed to do some work experience at a hospital and also have other opportunities for further work experience.

The most enjoyable part of my work experience,I feel, was meeting new patients each day. However, on the one day that I was in A&E, I witnessed a Doctor taking a blood sample and I felt light headed. I realized this was probably normal and that I would become desensitized to it over time. However, im now realizing that I do kind of find Medicine a bit disgusting and I dont really know whether its for me.

My other option is to do something like biomedical sciences as I am really interested in biology and chemistry. But, and this is going to sound very arrogant and it is probably a misinformed opinion, but considering their salaries, they dont seem to be paid as well as Doctors. Now, 100% i DO NOT want to go into a career for money but I feel that there is a reason for this difference and in my mind, its because its not as challenging of a job.

Again, I am going to sound very arrogant, but I am very good at academics and I do not want to sort of limit my potential if I can do harder jobs. When I asked some of the people at my work experience why they didnt become a Doctor, they all told me that it was too much effort and hard work. I am more than willing to put in this effort and hard work if the job I do is worthwhile.

So to conclude, I feel like Medicine would be very interesting and enjoyable career but my main concern is being disgusted by what I will learn and do. I feel like biomedical sciences would therefore suit me more. However, I do not want to regret making this decision and I sort of dont want to go into Medicine just because I was "scared" of what I was going to do. I realize how important it is to have an open mind and try new things but Medicine is not for everybody, so I am really contemplating whether it is the right career path for me.

ReputationRep:
    Go with your gut with this one, not your brain - don't do medicine - you would much rather be happy in a lower paying job than be miserable and dreading everyday of your job but be paid more - doctors aren't even paid that much for the amount of work they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Go with your gut with this one, not your brain - don't do medicine - you would much rather be happy in a lower paying job than be miserable and dreading everyday of your job but be paid more - doctors aren't even paid that much for the amount of work they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its not really about the pay though. Its just that Im going to regret it if I dont fulfil my potential. I dont want to look back and think "Oh I was scared of doing that, so thats why I didnt do it". And I dont know. Would I really be miserable? After I got over my fears, I could really love the career.

I think perhaps I need to do more work experience in a different department before I decide. Thanks for your input

ReputationRep:
    If you were 100% sure, then you clearly would not have considered the downsides and would be making a poor decision. Doubt is natural - all you can do is make the best decision for you given the information you have.

Do not worry about feeling sick/fainting when taking blood. You will get over it.

There are some disgusting bits yes. Again, I think you largely get over it (especially re blood). You will not avoid them by doing biology or biomedical sciences though, where dissection and lab work with specimens will be staple. You will also entirely lose the patient contact aspect.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't really given any compelling reasons to go either way. Queasiness is something you'll get over quickly, and thetr are lpts of branches of medicine with very little in the way of blood and guts. But the main reason you give for doing medicine is to 'fulfill your potential', which is, quite frankly, *******s. Both fields have plenty of scope to do important work that makes a real difference, and if you work hard in either you could certainly achieve great things

You've really choosing between apples and oranges here. Are you interested in basic science - theory, lab work, research; or a vocation involving patient contact, practical skills, and the chance to be involved in some of the most significant moments in people's lives. If the answer is 'all of that' then you should undoubtedly do medicine as doctors can easily get involved in research, whereas scientists don't really spend much time in hospital

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.