Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

Every year the raw/UMS grade boundaries for C3/C4 are different. For example, in Jan 11, C3 was tough so you only needed 52/72 (72%) to get 80/100 UMS. However, these raw/UMS grids never give details about the A* boundary - I presume that for Jan 11 C3, you could still get 90/100 UMS without getting 92% raw as it was a difficult paper. However, since they never explicitly state what the A* boundary is, I was worried that the A* boundary was unaffected by the difficulty of the paper - and so you'd still need 90% raw to get 90/100 even in a very difficult year.

Can someone shed some light on this?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cavatina22)
    Hello everyone,

Every year the raw/UMS grade boundaries for C3/C4 are different. For example, in Jan 11, C3 was tough so you only needed 52/72 (72%) to get 80/100 UMS. However, these raw/UMS grids never give details about the A* boundary - I presume that for Jan 11 C3, you could still get 90/100 UMS without getting 92% raw as it was a difficult paper. However, since they never explicitly state what the A* boundary is, I was worried that the A* boundary was unaffected by the difficulty of the paper - and so you'd still need 90% raw to get 90/100 even in a very difficult year.

Can someone shed some light on this?
    thanks
    The A* boundary is affected just like the rest. If you google "OCR grade boundaries with 90 UMS June 2014" or whatever, you should get a table with the A* boundary on. And OCR just released a UMS converter so you can use that too - http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/conv...-marks-to-ums/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbella~)
    The A* boundary is affected just like the rest. If you google "OCR grade boundaries with 90 UMS June 2014" or whatever, you should get a table with the A* boundary on. And OCR just released a UMS converter so you can use that too - http://www.ocr.org.uk/i-want-to/conv...-marks-to-ums/
    Ah thank you! that's really reassuring. Turns out the C3 A* boundary in Jan 11 was 59/72 which is 82% - so it's nice to know that if a paper's really hard the boundaries are really low!

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2016

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.