Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been struggling with depression since I got to Uni, and it's gotten a lot worse. I've had days where I can't get out of bed and I've had suicidal thoughts. I've been seeing a counsellor for about 2 months though, and slowly I'm starting to get to the root of my problems.

However at the start of Uni I applied to go on this study abroad, and then my department picked a host uni for me in Asia.

I do want to go and I know it would be an amazing experience, however I'm worried for my mental health; as I won't receive any counselling there and I've just been told that I won't receive academic support for my learning difficulties either :/ I also, won't know anyone there, and whilst I'm usually fine with this as I've lived abroad before, I feel at this moment I do need a support network and the thought of not having one is scary.

I also, won't have any place to stay in the holidays as the host uni doens't let student stay in the accommodation over the holidays, so I'll have to find a place to stay.

I'm also unsure, as my department picked asia for me? So I'm wondering whether this is what I really wanted all along. However I don't want to miss out on this opportunity, however I'm wondering whether my health is good enough to go.

ReputationRep:
    Whether this is really want you want is up to you. I'm sure it'd be really cool. It's a once in a lifetime thing. The world won't end if you don't go though.

Finding a place to stay during the holidays shouldn't be too bad of a task, are there any other students going? Maybe ask them what their plan is? If not, ask the abroad university for advice on finding a place? I've never been to Asia but I'm sure someone rents out flats to students there. ^-^

You might be able to schedule a phone/skype appointment with your counsellor. Or even swap emails? I guess you just have to ask them if they're happy to do that. Maybe the university in Asia has English counsellors?

I imagine this whole move to Asia is at least few months away so you have plenty of time to think about what you want and work out a cross-continental support network.

Oh, I think explaining this whole situation to your counsellor is your next step. As they'll only want what's best for you after all. )))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been struggling with depression since I got to Uni, and it's gotten a lot worse. I've had days where I can't get out of bed and I've had suicidal thoughts. I've been seeing a counsellor for about 2 months though, and slowly I'm starting to get to the root of my problems.

However at the start of Uni I applied to go on this study abroad, and then my department picked a host uni for me in Asia.

I do want to go and I know it would be an amazing experience, however I'm worried for my mental health; as I won't receive any counselling there and I've just been told that I won't receive academic support for my learning difficulties either :/ I also, won't know anyone there, and whilst I'm usually fine with this as I've lived abroad before, I feel at this moment I do need a support network and the thought of not having one is scary.

I also, won't have any place to stay in the holidays as the host uni doens't let student stay in the accommodation over the holidays, so I'll have to find a place to stay.

I'm also unsure, as my department picked asia for me? So I'm wondering whether this is what I really wanted all along. However I don't want to miss out on this opportunity, however I'm wondering whether my health is good enough to go.
    Where in Asia are you going?

Honestly, it could go either way. Chances are, though, getting away might be just what you need. Being physically away from friends and family doesn't mean you are losing your support network. Thanks to the wonders of technology, you can easily keep in touch with people back home.

I was in a similar boat back at the end of 2011, I suffered with depression for years, and then for some crazy spur-of-the-moment reason I sold my car and signed up for a TEFL qualification and 6 month internship in China. 5 years later and I'm still here, and it was the best thing I ever did.

Going as an international student will immediately introduce you to people in a similar position to you. You won't be on your own. It's a great opportunity to meet new people - people who might be as anxious as you, and people who can help you out. As for the holidays, Asia is a big place with a lot of places you can visit for relatively low costs. If you have the funds, have a little vacation! And of course, talk to other students, and university staff, who I'm sure will be able to give you advice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.