Can a Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT get you into higher education for Computing? Watch

Mitchell10123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My AS Levels aren't going too well through both my fault and the fault of the school I go to sixth form in. I'm planning to drop out and go to college. I want to end up getting a degree in Computer Science, but the only college courses I'm seeing are IT courses. Can these level 3 IT courses open the door for higher education with computer science or do the colleges near me simply not offer the course I need?
katieMCR
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Im not syure whether IT will be enough for computer science since there is a lot of coding involved and IT doesn't cover that aspect in enough detail but as long as you know how to code then maybe.
Try checking some Uni websites/prospectuses and see if they say you need to get an Alevel/level 3 in comuting in order to get onto their computer science course
Kaneki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

My college has a lot of people doing the Level 3 IT Diploma... According to the lecturers if you are capable of taking the diploma along with Maths A level (And achieving a good grade in Maths) then there's no such reason why it should hinder you.

Why not email a few unis or the college you're looking to apply to in order to confirm?

Hope you get it sorted!
Crazyharry10
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey,
My brother did the level 3 BTEC ICT Practitioner course a few years ago and he has just finished doing his Computer Science course at university. He has said that it was a massive leap though simply because you need to know a lot of coding stuff for most of the assignments and exams which they really don't teach you in the BTEC course. I'm doing the BTEC course as well and i'm thinking of doing the same as him.
Just to be sure make sure you email any universities to clarify as some may want you to do A level computing and not the BTEC.
Hope This helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.42%
Excited (159)
9.19%
Worried (307)
17.74%
Terrified (383)
22.13%
Meh (176)
10.17%
Confused (37)
2.14%