Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Been on job seekers 3 weeks and sent on a work experience placement at the job centre Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am 25 years old and have recently come to the end of my contract at a doctors doing secretarial work.

I've been signed on to job seekers for 3 weeks and already they have put me on a placement working at that depressing job centre!

I think this scheme is great for people with little experience but I have worked consistently up untill this point and have tons of experiece in different roles.

I really don't feel I should be doing this but my work coach has said its mandatory or I lose my job seekers.

Feel really put out about this.
    It's 8 weeks full time.

I'm due in this morning to start.
    Opinions please?!

Thanks guys
    Xxxx
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I thought normally they left you alone for six months. You should talk to your work coach or get another temp contract asap. If you refuse to do as they ask, then they will sanction you from 4 to 13 weeks money.

ReputationRep:
    I've spoken to her, she's not a very nice woman at all.
    She hasn't even allowed me to have transport costs.

I don't mind walking to the job centre placement but its a 20 min walk and some mornings it would be nice to get the bus especially if it's raining.

I really don't want to do this and basically sounds like I have no choice.

ReputationRep:
    I see why you're frustrated but you should find a job quickly if you have loads of experience so hopefully it won't be for long. To be honest I think anyone claiming benefits should do as they are told, including work experience or whatever, the job seekers people are probably just ticking boxes and I think it's as silly as you but you shouldn't moan too much when you're getting the money for 'nothing' (I know you've probably paid into it with taxes!). Also, 20 minutes is nothing, I wouldn't give you bus fare either... it's actually nice to get some fresh air in the morning and wake yourself up a bit with a walk and helps you destress on your way home. At least this has happened in the summer when the walking will be nice!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by emmalizzy)
    I've spoken to her, she's not a very nice woman at all.
    She hasn't even allowed me to have transport costs.

I don't mind walking to the job centre placement but its a 20 min walk and some mornings it would be nice to get the bus especially if it's raining.

I really don't want to do this and basically sounds like I have no choice.
    I cant tell you about expenses, whether theres a min distance. When you start working there and get on ok with other advisers check with them. I cnat see why you cant claim if you actually expend the money. It seems very soon. perhaps you would have been better doing vol work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalizzy)
    Hi everyone,

I am 25 years old and have recently come to the end of my contract at a doctors doing secretarial work.

I've been signed on to job seekers for 3 weeks and already they have put me on a placement working at that depressing job centre!

I think this scheme is great for people with little experience but I have worked consistently up untill this point and have tons of experiece in different roles.

I really don't feel I should be doing this but my work coach has said its mandatory or I lose my job seekers.

Feel really put out about this.
    It's 8 weeks full time.

I'm due in this morning to start.
    Opinions please?!

Thanks guys
    Xxxx

I was sent to the jobentre to do work experience too 2 weeks ago it was only for 4 weeks but i only did one day and didnt go back. I wrote on the universal jobmatch where you write about what jobs you applied for on the activity space. I wrote why would anyone in their right mind work in a jobcentre for free when your liable to be attacked and especially as theres no offer of a job afterwards?
    I also sent email to my advisor why im not going back and they cant make me work there but to work somewhere else. I said i hate reception work as i am not confident on reception and i forget what they tell me to do when customers ask me questions. I have to ask all the security guards and other staff for help for every question customers ask me and its embarrassing.

So you must tell job centre you want to do work experience in administration or reception for different company. Ring jobcentre tomorrow while your on that work experience and ask for the email address of the manager. Tell them you dont want to do work experience there or even send a copy of this reply to manager because they cant force you to work in a job centre if you dont want to but they can make you do work experience for other companies. It was my choice to do work experience in job centre but i thought id be working on computer on a desk not reception. Ask if you can have a different advisor too because that particular one is not doing the best for you and is very nasty when you already have experience but other people dont. No one should be forced to work in a job centre its meant to be a choice given not forced upon people. Their not allowed to do that because job centre can be dangerous place to work. First day i started another receptionist would tell me horror stories of people who came up to him and said he hasnt taken his medication and feels like cutting everybodies heads off. That put me off even more. Why should i be exposed to that kind of threat ?, its ok for the staff cos they get paid lots of money but this is slave labour in a very dangerous environment so you dont have to stay. Ask manager to find you work experience where a company offer you a job afterwards or try to look for your own work experience so they cant force you on theres thats what i am trying to do. Some voluntary jobs i applied for didnt contact me back so i rang a local food bank to do voluntary work there.

Also sign up with Reed online and apply for jobs as a Trainee recruitment consultant as you need no experience and they pay a lot of money and go into Reed employment office ask to do Trainee recruitment or whatever job you want or other employment agencies. Any person looking for a good job can apply for Trainee recruitent. You need no experience in an office or reception. Ive been on interview 2 years ago for that job through the job centre and the employer said she used to work in asda and had no experience in an office before and she got the job. And an advisor on a work programme i was sent on recenty who worked as a child care assistant and had no office experience before did work experience as a trainee recruitment at a work programme the job centre sent her on and she got the job.

First thing in the morning at 9am ring your own job centre ask to speak to the manager, also tell the manager at your work experience that you dont want to do this and tell them you were refused a bus pass to get there as their not allowed to do that either. Most people dont complain about bad advisors but i do because some of them do bad things they were not trained to do and if people dont complain they get away with it. Every person who has to do wok experience/ voluntary work must be given bus fares to get there every day like a months bus pass before you start then renew it. As she never gave you fares dont go in as i forgot to ask for fares so couldnt go the next day and i decided on that second day because i had no fares to get there that i wont go back.

Dont take any retail work experience as i did that in poundland they make you work til 11pm at night so thats out of order for work experience, ask for good jobs like in an office. An advisor on a work programme wanted me to do work experience in a hospital but i have a problem with reception jobs so that wasnt suitable for me but if you dont mind working in a hospital ask to do that or look for any music / record labels company to work on reception there because thats more interesting companies to work for.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.