Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For question 7 of the June 2011 edexcel paper, is the reaction force at A at an angle or perpendicular? I initially thought it would be perpendicular as the question does not say the rod is hinged to the wall, but the rod is against the wall. However the exam solutions video says it is at an angle. Can someone please clarify this?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glavien)
    For question 7 of the June 2011 edexcel paper, is the reaction force at A at an angle or perpendicular? I initially thought it would be perpendicular as the question does not say the rod is hinged to the wall, but the rod is against the wall. However the exam solutions video says it is at an angle. Can someone please clarify this?

Thanks!
    The wall is rough so there is a frictional force upwards as well as the normal reaction acting perpendiculr to the wall, i.e. along the rod.

You could put these together as a force at an angle, but I think it's better to keep them separate.

Part b is asking just for the magnitude of the normal reaction. In part c you need to use F = mu R.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    The wall is rough so there is a frictional force upwards as well as the normal reaction acting perpendiculr to the wall, i.e. along the rod.

You could put these together as a force at an angle, but I think it's better to keep them separate.

Part b is asking just for the magnitude of the normal reaction. In part c you need to use F = mu R.
    Yes thank you, I think I got it. Just to clarify this diagram is correct right?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464088413.267470.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  104.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes thank you, I think I got it. Just to clarify this diagram is correct right?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1464088413.267470.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  104.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    For question 3(b) of the January 2012 M2 paper, why when you work out the work done, you only use the constant resistance force of 20N? Surely, there is also work done against the component of the weight acting down the plane, right?

Paper: https://ca99c64778b62ba7e7b339967029...%20Edexcel.pdf

ReputationRep:
    For question 3(b) of the January 2012 M2 paper, why when you work out the work done, you only use the constant resistance force of 20N? Surely, there is also work done against the component of the weight acting down the plane, right?

Paper: https://ca99c64778b62ba7e7b339967029...%20Edexcel.pdf
    Sure, work done against gravity/weight is called G.P.E and I presume you'e already including G.P.E in your calculations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Sure, work done against gravity/weight is called G.P.E and I presume you'e already including G.P.E in your calculations?
    Yeah I did include G.P.E, that's why I got the answer correct while still being unsure. Thanks I get it now!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did include G.P.E, that's why I got the answer correct while still being unsure. Thanks I get it now!
    It's a very common question.

ReputationRep:
    Does the coefficient of friction have range of 0<u<1 or 0<=u<=1 ?

ReputationRep:
    It can be greater than 1, e.g. aluminium on aluminium is 1.4.

When a surface is modelled as "smooth", we are effectively taking mu as 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    It can be greater than 1, e.g. aluminium on aluminium is 1.4.

When a surface is modelled as "smooth", we are effectively taking mu as 0.
    Ohhh, never knew that. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, never knew that. Thanks.
    So, if a question asks you to find the range of mu and lets say you got mu<0.5 . Should you just leave it as mu<0.5 or 0<mu<0.5 ?

ReputationRep:
    The question says 'the strut is freely hinged to the rod at point D'. Does that mean there is thrust acting on the rod as well as a reaction force from the strut on the rod? Or is the reaction force the thrust?

Also, if it did not say 'hinged' but it said the rod rested on the strut at D would this a difference to the forces at D?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465779336.377912.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  157.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The question says 'the strut is freely hinged to the rod at point D'. Does that mean there is thrust acting on the rod as well as a reaction force from the strut on the rod? Or is the reaction force the thrust?

Also, if it did not say 'hinged' but it said the rod rested on the strut at D would this a difference to the forces at D?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465779336.377912.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  157.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hinges give reactions in two directins so there inst only a reaction going perp to the wall like normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    hinges give reactions in two directins so there inst only a reaction going perp to the wall like normal.
    Sorry, but not talking about the wall. I'm talking about the hinge at D. Would the reaction at that point be the thrust in the rod?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On the Jan 2012 3a question you did... Do you know why they rounded the power from 328.7N to 330N?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    On the Jan 2012 3a question you did... Do you know why they rounded the power from 328.7N to 330N?
    I'm guessing because you have to give your answer to 3 or 2 sig figs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why can you not do this to find the value of k?

Question 5 : https://ca99c64778b62ba7e7b339967029...%20Edexcel.pdf

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465991450.924351.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  49.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    Why can you not do this to find the value of k?

Question 5 : https://ca99c64778b62ba7e7b339967029...%20Edexcel.pdf

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465991450.924351.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  49.4 KB
    You cannot multiply stuff like that. You have to equate coefficients. you have taken into account direction and it is dimensionally incorrect to square a vector leading to normal numbers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.