Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain the Meselson and Stahl experiment? I need another perspective on this

ReputationRep:
    Was revising this earlier.
    1)they werent sure whether DNA replicated conservatively (made a new strand from itself) or semi conservatively.
    2) Put seperate bacteria in a heavy nitrogen (n15) solution and a light nitrogen n(14) solution.
    3)Then took a sample of the bacteria(from both solutions) out and spun it in a centrifuge.
    4)The nitrogen solution is absorbed by the nitrous bases (i think) and hence the n15 heavy settles lower in the centrifuge tube as it is heavier..
    5)They then take the bacteria out heavy nitrogen solution/broth and put in the light nitrogen broth.
    6)left for a round of replication
    7)centrifuge again
    8)so if replication was conservative , the heavy nitrogen bacteria would replicate itself and would settle at the bottom while the light bacteria would be at the top - the same as before.
    9)but the dna settled in the middle , containing a strand of heavy and light nitrogen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boinz)
    Was revising this earlier.
    1)they werent sure whether DNA replicated conservatively (made a new strand from itself) or semi conservatively.
    2) Put seperate bacteria in a heavy nitrogen (n15) solution and a light nitrogen n(14) solution.
    3)Then took a sample of the bacteria(from both solutions) out and spun it in a centrifuge.
    4)The nitrogen solution is absorbed by the nitrous bases (i think) and hence the n15 heavy settles lower in the centrifuge tube as it is heavier..
    5)They then take the bacteria out heavy nitrogen solution/broth and put in the light nitrogen broth.
    6)left for a round of replication
    7)centrifuge again
    8)so if replication was conservative , the heavy nitrogen bacteria would replicate itself and would settle at the bottom while the light bacteria would be at the top - the same as before.
    9)but the dna settled in the middle , containing a strand of heavy and light nitrogen.
    Thank you so much!! I think you've managed to help me clear things up a little

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.