Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there - could someone please help me with the following question:

"A group of 60 children were each asked to choose an integer value between 1 and 9 inclusive. Their choices are summarised in the table below:

Value Chosen | Number of children
    1 | 3
    2 | 4
    3 | 5
    4 | 10
    5 | 12
    6 | 13
    7 | 7
    8 | 4
    9 | 2

Calculate the mean.

I would like to know why the mean is worked out as [sum of x * Frequency] / frequency and not [sum of x]/n ... I thought that this looked like discrete data and not continuous/ grouped data so can't understand why we are using the former formula... Sorry if I'm missing something basic. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    number of children = f, so it needs to be sum of xf divided by the sum of f, that's as well as I can explain it, sorry if it isn't much use

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phishingrhod)
    number of children = f, so it needs to be sum of xf divided by the sum of f, that's as well as I can explain it, sorry if it isn't much use
    Hi - thanks so much for your quick response. Just wondering though- which wouldn't it be 60/9 = 6.7 (1dp)? just a tad confused as the stats book suggests you should only use the xf/f formula for continuous/ grouped data - and this is discrete data - unless I'm missing something basic?

ReputationRep:
    tbh, I'm not sure as to why, but now whenever I see this sort of question, I go for the xf/f by instinct, but I suppose it's the amount (/frequency) of children picking a certain number, which means that the mean number chosen would be 303/60=5.05

Best bet is, if a particular group of people are CHOOSING something, take what they choose as being x, and the number of times that x is chosen is f, that's what seems to work for me

sorry if this hasn't been much help, again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phishingrhod)
    tbh, I'm not sure as to why, but now whenever I see this sort of question, I go for the xf/f by instinct, but I suppose it's the amount (/frequency) of children picking a certain number, which means that the mean number chosen would be 303/60=5.05

Best bet is, if a particular group of people are CHOOSING something, take what they choose as being x, and the number of times that x is chosen is f, that's what seems to work for me

sorry if this hasn't been much help, again
    Great, thank you so much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.