The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics AS Physics on the Go Unit 1 *RETAKE*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by extreamedice
For the weight of the moon rock - it was 35 pounds so i calculated 35x0.45 = 15.75 kg

Then I used 15.75kg to find the weight of the rock on the moon which was 15.75 x (9.81 x 1/6) = 25.8 N

Anyone did the same?

Yeah I got the same. What did you write for the bit after about the scales on earth??
Ah and the MCQ question where i found to be the most confusing was the steel ball and plastic ball dropped in vacuum. after they drop the same height they will have the same velocity right? or will they have the same resultant force acting on them? I picked same velocity cause acceleration is 9.81 so yea..
Does anyone have the unofficial markscheme for it?
Original post by Ezio.
Yeah I got the same. What did you write for the bit after about the scales on earth??

Uh i doubt my answer for the subsequent parts were right but i said multiply the scale by 6? really had no clue about it
Reply 44
Ah and the MCQ question where i found to be the most confusing was the steel ball and plastic ball dropped in vacuum. after they drop the same height they will have the same velocity right? or will they have the same resultant force acting on them? I picked same velocity cause acceleration is 9.81 so yea..

I said that too. I assumed it could not be change in GPE, obviously because one was steel and one was plastic so they must have different change in GPE's??
Reply 45
Uh i doubt my answer for the subsequent parts were right but i said multiply the scale by 6? really had no clue about it

Yeah me neither I said the same xD
Did anyone else run out of time lol?
I had to guess all my multiple choice questions and put B for all of them (can someone tell me roughly how many of them were B)
and i forgot my ruler and protractor so i had to use the cosine rule for the vectors question :frown:
For the weight of the moon rock - it was 35 pounds so i calculated 35x0.45 = 15.75 kg

Then I used 15.75kg to find the weight of the rock on the moon which was 15.75 x (9.81 x 1/6) = 25.8 N

Anyone did the same?

Yes I did this
Reply 48
Original post by ajaxkiller
Did anyone else run out of time lol?
I had to guess all my multiple choice questions and put B for all of them (can someone tell me roughly how many of them were B)
and i forgot my ruler and protractor so i had to use the cosine rule for the vectors question :frown:

I am extremely sorry to hear this! :frown: What question took you so long? I don't really remember how many "B's" there were to be honest...
Reply 49
What did everyone write for the types on energy transfer on the pogo stick?
I put Elastic Potential to Kinetic and Gravitational but I ended up crossing through gravitational because the pogo stick was still in contact with the ground.
Guys what did everyone put as the 2 reasons for the errors of the cup thingy?

First one I put air resistance/drag and the fact that work is being done against drag so kinetic energy less (idk)

Second one I wasn't too sure, I didn't mention temperature again as the previous Q I mentioned temperature, so I wrote something random about parallax error and that you couldn't distribute all of the fluid through the hole as some will get stuck around the hole/not go in properly again I have no idea
Another question. They said what effects does Air resistance and upward force have on the golf balls horizontal distance

My ANSWER:

Air resistance - Causes ball to slow down and travel a smaller distance than calculated in part a - 98.4m

Upward force - Causes ball to accelerate more, so time taken for the entire golf ball journey will increase. since distance = speed x time, increase in time would result in greater distance travelled by the ball.

Really unsure about the upward force answer but air resistance couldve elaborated further
Original post by Mizuz
I am extremely sorry to hear this! :frown: What question took you so long? I don't really remember how many "B's" there were to be honest...

the last few questions, also i just take time reading the question. plus since i had no protractor i had to use mathematical formulas to calculate the missing side so that occupied some time too..
Reply 53
Original post by KINGYusuf
Guys what did everyone put as the 2 reasons for the errors of the cup thingy?

First one I put air resistance/drag and the fact that work is being done against drag so kinetic energy less (idk)

Second one I wasn't too sure, I didn't mention temperature again as the previous Q I mentioned temperature, so I wrote something random about parallax error and that you couldn't distribute all of the fluid through the hole as some will get stuck around the hole/not go in properly again I have no idea

I said that the size of hole matters. If the hole is pierced too big, there will be a higher flow rate and so time will be short and vice versa.
Original post by Ezio.
What did everyone write for the types on energy transfer on the pogo stick?
I put Elastic Potential to Kinetic and Gravitational but I ended up crossing through gravitational because the pogo stick was still in contact with the ground.

Yea elastic potential to kinetic energy for me, wanted to put gravitational energy too but decided against it :smile:
BY THE WAY GUYS how did you draw the motion of the ball at a greater angle? I drew it as being less distance travelled
Reply 56
Original post by ajaxkiller
the last few questions, also i just take time reading the question. plus since i had no protractor i had to use mathematical formulas to calculate the missing side so that occupied some time too..

Surely, your school must have given you a protractor!! Are you retaking any other Physics exams? Maybe you can make it up with them :smile: Hopefully, its just the multiple Q and not the rest of the paper...
Original post by Mizuz
I said that the size of hole matters. If the hole is pierced too big, there will be a higher flow rate and so time will be short and vice versa.

yes i did size of the hole and temperature of the room / surroundings
Original post by Mizuz
Surely, your school must have given you a protractor!! Are you retaking any other Physics exams? Maybe you can make it up with them :smile: Hopefully, its just the multiple Q and not the rest of the paper...

and yeah not the whole paper :P but multiple choice questions worth 10 marks which is worth like 2 grades if u think about it
Reply 59
Original post by KINGYusuf
BY THE WAY GUYS how did you draw the motion of the ball at a greater angle? I drew it as being less distance travelled

It goes both vertically and horizontally greater than the smaller angle. I actually worked it out with suvats in the exam quickly

Quick Reply

Latest