Question to Agnostics Watch

Alien Warrior
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Agnostics say to Atheists: 'You can't say God doesn't exist as you can't prove with 100% certainty he doesn't exist!'

So my question to Agnostics is: Are you Agnostic about the Easter bunny, flying spaghetti monster, pink unicorn etc?
Alien Warrior
Rep:
?
Mayhem™ Nayzar
ForestShadow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Alien Warrior)
Agnostics say to Atheists: 'You can't say God doesn't exist as you can't prove with 100% certainty he doesn't exist!'

So my question to Agnostics is: Are you Agnostic about the Easter bunny, flying spaghetti monster, pink unicorn etc?

Defraction
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Agnosticism solely by definition is that they aren't sure whether or not God exists as opposed to atheists who believe God doesn't exist. I consider agnostics to be in the middle between theists and atheists.
Rsoane101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Defraction)
Agnosticism solely by definition is that they aren't sure whether or not God exists as opposed to atheists who believe God doesn't exist. I consider agnostics to be in the middle between theists and atheists.
Yeah... I think the OP doesn't understand what an agnostic is...
TheGreatPumpkin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't be silly Easter Bunnies aren't invisible or magic, unicorns on the other hand...
Alien Warrior
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rsoane101)
'In recent years, scientific literature dealing with neuroscience and psychology has used the word to mean "not knowable'

You know exactly what I mean.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Those things are a different argument altogether, really. God is something said to exist outside of reality, making it impossible to empirically prove or disprove his existence as you can't get any observations to go off. Things like the Easter bunny and pink unicorns are said to exist where we live, in reality, and as such we have plenty of observations to suggest that those things most likely don't exist, as nobody's seen them.

I guess there's nothing to suggest that these things cannot exist in whatever weirdness God occupies, and I see no reason to suggest that God can't be one of the beings you've suggested. The church of the flying spaghetti monster doesn't realise that their religion probably could be totally legitimate.
Spoiler:
Show
On a completely different note, parts of Cartesian philosophy would suggest that we have no decent evidence for the physical world existing so I guess if you took that line this entire argument about particular things existing suddenly becomes irrelevant...
Defraction
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah....
Alien Warrior
Rep:
?
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Those things are a different argument altogether, really. God is something said to exist outside of reality, making it impossible to empirically prove or disprove his existence as you can't get any observations to go off. Things like the Easter bunny and pink unicorns are said to exist where we live, in reality, and as such we have plenty of observations to suggest that those things most likely don't exist, as nobody's seen them.

I guess there's nothing to suggest that these things cannot exist in whatever weirdness God occupies, and I see no reason to suggest that God can't be one of the beings you've suggested. The church of the flying spaghetti monster doesn't realise that their religion probably could be totally legitimate.
Spoiler:
Show
On a completely different note, parts of Cartesian philosophy would suggest that we have no decent evidence for the physical world existing so I guess if you took that line this entire argument about particular things existing suddenly becomes irrelevant...
No there isn't, the Flying Spaghetti could exist outside of reality as you say.

My point is why are people not sure God doesn't exist, yet are certain the Easter bunny doesn't exist. Both have just as much proof.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No there isn't, the Flying Spaghetti could exist outside of reality as you say.

My point is why are people not sure God doesn't exist, yet are certain the Easter bunny doesn't exist. Both have just as much proof.
They don't. I literally just explained it.
Alien Warrior
Rep:
?
They don't. I literally just explained it.
You have no proof the Easter bunny doesn't exist 'outide of reality' so no you haven't.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You have no proof the Easter bunny doesn't exist 'outide of reality' so no you haven't.
But that's not how the concept is normally dealt with, is it? That's my point. The Easter bunny is never qualified as being "outside of reality", the common interpretation of its existence is that it's here on earth with us.

You can move any old none-existent thing to the realm of "outside of reality", but that sort of defeats the point of arguing about it. God as a concept is slightly different as he was always said to be outside of reality.
Alien Warrior
Rep:
?
But that's not how the concept is normally dealt with, is it? That's my point. The Easter bunny is never qualified as being "outside of reality", the common interpretation of its existence is that it's here on earth with us.

You can move any old none-existent thing to the realm of "outside of reality", but that sort of defeats the point of arguing about it. God as a concept is slightly different as he was always said to be outside of reality.
Maybe its not an 'Easter' bunny maybe it's a special 'outide of reality bunny'.
Rsoane101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
'In recent years, scientific literature dealing with neuroscience and psychology has used the word to mean "not knowable'

You know exactly what I mean.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...glish/agnostic
Noun:
A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.

Adjective:
(In a non-religious context) having a doubtful or non-committal attitude towards something:

It seems you've confused the noun, referring to existence of God, and the adjective.

The noun is about someone who believes not enough can be known about God's existence and/or nature. There is a lot which can be known about the easter bunny being a physical being as impossible. Therefore an agnostic wouldnt argue that it could be possible.

However there is no point at which God is thought to be a physical being in his own form (apart from jesus) so thats where the agnostic would get their argument.

Incidently I'm a Christian and am aware that there is a lot of solid evidence to support the existence of Jesus being the Son of God, and therefore to support there being a God.
Alien Warrior
Rep:
?

Incidently I'm a Christian and am aware that there is a lot of solid evidence to support the existence of Jesus being the Son of God, and therefore to support there being a God.
Show me the evidence and I might convert.
Rsoane101
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Show me the evidence and I might convert.
I've put this on your other feed, but what I said remains true. Here. Although ultimately I'm not out to convert people, however If you're genuinely interested I will help
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Maybe its not an 'Easter' bunny maybe it's a special 'outide of reality bunny'.
Well now you're dealing with a different concept entirely. Hence why people decide the Easter bunny doesn't exist.
ODES_PDES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Lost
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's no real need for this. It's absurd. Leave people alone. It does no harm to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.42%
Excited (159)
9.19%
Worried (307)
17.74%
Terrified (383)
22.13%
Meh (176)
10.17%
Confused (37)
2.14%