Psychosis, mania, depression, what Watch

midwolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there,I'm currently seeing the 16-19 service (otherwise known as CAMHS) for extreme mood swings, after many years of no progress. (They're a bit... difficult, as some of you will know)So the clinical nurse I saw said I get 'psychotic episodes including mania and depression caused by stress and anxiety', what exactly does that mean, or is it a case of 'it is what it is'? She said I need medication and will be seeing a consultant soon. Does anyone else suffer from similar/the same? Is there a proper name for it? Can you tell me your experience? I saw a post-cancer psychologist who thought I was bipolar type 2, and I thought I was bipolar 2, but this new person at camhs doesn't think I am. I just want someone to talk to really, haha. My mind is scrambled. Halp.I'm waiting for the review they send in the post, but this has been constantly on my mind so I wanted to ask. Any friendly advice? )
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

It can be confusing when people use medical terms but equally don't assign a diagnostic label. There could be many good reasons for this, though, as some conditions need thorough monitoring and investigation before they can be diagnosed. It sounds like there's a lot going on with your mental health and the differences between different conditions can be rather subtle. It could be that the nurse may have some idea but is not in the best position to be diagnosing (as diagnosis should really be done by a psychiatrist, rather than a clinical nurse).

I appreciate it can be very hard when you don't know what's going on and when staff are less forthcoming, but try and be patient until you see a consultant and have a proper assessment. Even after the assessment, it may take some time. I entered the psychiatric services aged 21 and so was put in an EIS (Early Intervention Service) in January 2010... but I only received a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder (which does, FYI, include psychotic, depressive and manic symptoms) in October 2011!

Big hugs and hope you get all the necessary help you need :hugs:
midwolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Hi,

It can be confusing when people use medical terms but equally don't assign a diagnostic label. There could be many good reasons for this, though, as some conditions need thorough monitoring and investigation before they can be diagnosed. It sounds like there's a lot going on with your mental health and the differences between different conditions can be rather subtle. It could be that the nurse may have some idea but is not in the best position to be diagnosing (as diagnosis should really be done by a psychiatrist, rather than a clinical nurse).

I appreciate it can be very hard when you don't know what's going on and when staff are less forthcoming, but try and be patient until you see a consultant and have a proper assessment. Even after the assessment, it may take some time. I entered the psychiatric services aged 21 and so was put in an EIS (Early Intervention Service) in January 2010... but I only received a diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder (which does, FYI, include psychotic, depressive and manic symptoms) in October 2011!

Big hugs and hope you get all the necessary help you need :hugs:
Thanks for your response. )))) Much appreciated. I'm trying my best to be patient, haha. It's just hard to keep it off my mind. I've spent three years in and out of the system, dealing with these things mostly on my own. Now I'm finally here, I think you'll understand I'm a little done. It's quite the milestone in my life.I thought they might be withholding a bit because big diagnoses are a bit hefty at younger ages. I'm glad I'm finally getting the help I need though, which is the main thing. It all works out eventually. Thanks again for your response I feel a bit less stressed. ^-^
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by midwolf)
Thanks for your response. )))) Much appreciated. I'm trying my best to be patient, haha. It's just hard to keep it off my mind. I've spent three years in and out of the system, dealing with these things mostly on my own. Now I'm finally here, I think you'll understand I'm a little done. It's quite the milestone in my life.I thought they might be withholding a bit because big diagnoses are a bit hefty at younger ages. I'm glad I'm finally getting the help I need though, which is the main thing. It all works out eventually. Thanks again for your response I feel a bit less stressed. ^-^
That could be another reason to be fair - sometimes they like to wait til you're "an adult" before fixing anything. Or sometimes it can be to protect you from stigma (a therapist I saw in 2011 thought that that was why my psychiatrist was refusing to give me a diagnosis at the time - I'm South Asian, so having a diagnosed mental health condition is seriously taboo). There are a whole heap of reasons!

It is definitely very hard to keep one's mind of it I'm sorry to hear you've been dealing with things on your own for the most part - that's very disconcerting and must have been really difficult for you :sad: Hopefully now that a consultant is getting involved, you will have more support in future :hugs:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.48%
Excited (165)
9.36%
Worried (308)
17.47%
Terrified (389)
22.06%
Meh (182)
10.32%
Confused (38)
2.16%