The Student Room Group

Can an 18 year olds insurance go higher than 300?

Lets say a 2006 golf 1.6ltr and both experienced parents are insured on the car too. I only get paid over £350 from work every month. Neither of my parents work so my student finance might be able to help. Is this a realistic approach cause i really need my own car!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sabrinaa1234
Lets say a 2006 golf 1.6ltr and both experienced parents are insured on the car too. I only get paid over £350 from work every month. Neither of my parents work so my student finance might be able to help. Is this a realistic approach cause i really need my own car!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

due to the car being 1.6ltr it may make your insurance pricey. At your age just passed I was looking at around £2000 on a similar car in insurance for the year with a black box. that was with my mum and dad (both experienced drivers never made a claim) on my insurance to.

its not going to be cheap at 18 with that kind of car sadly
Reply 2
I drive a 2014 Volkswagen Up!, as the second driver, and my insurance is only £800/year.

Why is it so cheap?
1) It's engine is only 1 litre
2) It is 3 door, and tiny
3) I'm the 2nd driver, and the family has a decent no claims bonus.

Engines under 1L are boring, but much less pricey.
Original post by Wesleigh
I drive a 2014 Volkswagen Up!, as the second driver, and my insurance is only £800/year.

Why is it so cheap?

its also cheaper because its a newer safer car! VW UPs are probably one of the best and cheapest cars insurance wise for young drivers!

watch it though with the whole second driver thing, it can come back to bite you in the long run especially if your caught needing to make a claim, they are clamping down hard on insurance fraud at the moment.
Reply 4
Original post by Natalierm2707
its also cheaper because its a newer safer car! VW UPs are probably one of the best and cheapest cars insurance wise for young drivers!

watch it though with the whole second driver thing, it can come back to bite you in the long run especially if your caught needing to make a claim, they are clamping down hard on insurance fraud at the moment.

I'm essentially still the second driver - my dad uses it only a tiny bit less than me.
I'm essentially still the second driver - my dad uses it only a tiny bit less than me.

thats fair enough then... the issue is so many newly passed teens are putting parents as the named driver and them as the second when their parents never drive it... its pretty easy to get caught out even in your situation because they are clamping down so hard on it.

Ive been passed a year now and I can get insurance without a box, fully comp and me as the named driver for under £900 on a number of decent cars... currently pricing it all up.
Reply 6
Original post by Natalierm2707
thats fair enough then... the issue is so many newly passed teens are putting parents as the named driver and them as the second when their parents never drive it... its pretty easy to get caught out even in your situation because they are clamping down so hard on it.

Ive been passed a year now and I can get insurance without a box, fully comp and me as the named driver for under £900 on a number of decent cars... currently pricing it all up.

I'm guessing that's because you've never claimed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best advice would be to get something cheaper to insure. Insurance is never cheap for 18 year olds, but cars such as the one you have in mind (with a 1.6l engine etc) are going to be even more expensive.
If a student do you really need a car?

You do end up being taxi driver and many universities and councils won't issue permits
Reply 9
Ive been passed almost a year now, had insurance from the day I turned 17. My insurance renewal for this year, when I turned 18, was £680 for my citroen C1, with myself as the named driver :h:
Original post by domonict
If a student do you really need a car?

You do end up being taxi driver and many universities and councils won't issue permits

my man just got off the boat this morning ^

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're going to be looking at 1500-2000.... My boyfriends insurance has only just gone down to £800 and he's been driving two years..
Reply 12
youre not going to insure jack **** for 300. cheapest quote youll get on any car will probably be about 1200, on like 3k miles, for a really uninteresting car, on a black box

Why is it so cheap?

this
Reply 14
Original post by ODES_PDES
this

Also known as fronting which is illegal + do you still get a NCB? I paid £1.7k for a 1.4 Corsa with no BB

Why is it so cheap?

another point is how new it is newer cars invariably have lower premiums than older models
My second year insurance was £450 on a ford KA with a box (limeted to 8k miles a year), that's probably the cheapest I've seen so I doubt you'll get insurance for 300
Original post by KZHX
Also known as fronting which is illegal + do you still get a NCB? I paid £1.7k for a 1.4 Corsa with no BB

No if you're not the main driver you don't build up any no claims

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending