11.11%
    Ok
    51.11%
    Hard
    28.89%
    Very hard
    4.44%

ReputationRep:
    I've heard mixed responses. Is there a lot of difference between the new and old spec. Is the new spec easier or harder?

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's harder than the old papers but then you get an extra 15 minutes so it's really fine :3 only question i struggled was the 1 mark stopping voltage thing (used emf = E/Q)

I was expecting bogusly hard questions like the specimen papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by middleagedpotato)
    I would say it's harder than the old papers but then you get an extra 15 minutes so it's really fine :3 only question i struggled was the 1 mark stopping voltage thing (used emf = E/Q)

Want do you think you got. Also, isn't stopping voltage where you just covert joules into electron volts.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I found it really difficult
    Spoiler:
    Show
    But I was tired and probably read the questions wrong...

ReputationRep:

your doing joules per coulomb for voltage so that is right

ReputationRep:
    Alot easier than expected compared to those nasty specimen papers. But ive got a feeling the paper 2 with the practical and multiple choice aint gonna be as easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BioMan231)
    Alot easier than expected compared to those nasty specimen papers. But ive got a feeling the paper 2 with the practical and multiple choice aint gonna be as easy.
    stop talking like yo ass in black.

black boyzz not good at physics, embrace stererotype

ReputationRep:
    Stopping potential is eV=KE
    E= charge of an electron
    V= stopping potential
    KE= kinetic energy

ReputationRep:
    The answer was 0.84V if I remember correctly

ReputationRep:
    I believe I did well enough to get a high A but... this makes me a little considerate on whether I should actually avoid past papers and focus on content? All the past papers had not aided one bit in that paper(maybe worth 3 marks, in this case only gained me 1 mark) , but it wasn't hard either more theory in depth based though.

Anyone have any comments on that?

ReputationRep:
    I got 0.90 (rounded) for stopping potential. Divide EK by e.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jtru)
    I believe I did well enough to get a high A but... this makes me a little considerate on whether I should actually avoid past papers and focus on content? All the past papers had not aided one bit in that paper(maybe worth 3 marks, in this case only gained me 1 mark) , but it wasn't hard either more theory in depth based though.

Anyone have any comments on that?
    Was it easier than the past papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    I've heard mixed responses. Is there a lot of difference between the new and old spec. Is the new spec easier or harder?
    I did quite a lot of preparation for this exam but felt entirely screwed when I looked at past paper questions and the specimen papers. However, the paper seemed fairly nice. I think I got a B or a C in this one (which for physics, to me is pretty outstanding lol)

The paper was so much different to any of the specimen papers etc

However I have heard very mixed opinions. Quite a few thought it was terrible...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyetu)
    I got 0.90 (rounded) for stopping potential. Divide EK by e.
    I believe so, I checked with my friends and 2 of us got 0.88V while the other got 0.89V

ReputationRep:
    Why is everyone talking about emf=e/q for the stopping potential question? How can you work outstopping potential from that equation?

ReputationRep:
    I believe so, I checked with my friends and 2 of us got 0.88V while the other got 0.89V
    Ohhh, so it just divide by 1.6*10^-16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    Was it easier than the past papers?
    Well... If I was to say honestly, it is not truly easier than a past paper,

(given that I finished this paper 10 minutes to the end whereas I have 30 minutes extra time on a past paper; working at the same pace)

however it will seem easier to answer because most of the questions we were asked, tested understanding over memorization/equations to a far greater extend. You had to know why this was like this , but because of that you didn't have to face any complex calculations or specific questions. It was like asking a student why does gravity act on an object as oppose to calculate the time that object is in the air for, if it is falling from height x. So if you had not memorized anything and simply understood the content you would do better than you would normally , whereas those who have studied and understood the content are not at a incomparable greater advantage unless they have gone more in depth. If I was really to compare, it was like replacing every state , with why does this happen. what if this happens, and then leaving a state or two to avoid suspicion.

For everyone who was hoping that paper to be similar to a past paper me included, it was simply a shock, it really makes me reconsider doing past papers at all, and instead marking on my specification "why?" on every point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.