Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have 4 questions:

1.) Can I apply and get accepted into a U.S university with my igcse and a level grades (british system) ?
    2.) I'm going to start a levels this year and I want to know: What is the difference betwern the academic lifestyle of igcse in comparison to a levels? Like how is teaching different, how do we learn in class, is it different ?
    3.) Will the igcse further maths I did help me a levels maths ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halimdina)
    So I have 4 questions:

1.) Can I apply and get accepted into a U.S university with my igcse and a level grades (british system) ?
    2.) I'm going to start a levels this year and I want to know: What is the difference betwern the academic lifestyle of igcse in comparison to a levels? Like how is teaching different, how do we learn in class, is it different ?
    1) IGCSEs are called IGCSEs for a reason - they are international. You can also still get into an American University with A Level grades, but you'll need to check with the university's college for what the entry requirements are.
    2) Usually class sizes are smaller so you might only have 5-15 people in each class, if not less, but you'll also have more lessons on the subjects you pick. The teaching style differs from each school, but it's more independent in A Levels i.e you won't get as much guidance from the teachers but you'll still get some.
    3) Most likely, especially if the same topics that came up for FM comes up for A Level Maths. The difference is you'll go more in depth with the A Level topic.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you can apply to a university in the US, some of the people at my sixth form have been saying that they want to However our teachers advise against it bc apparently the fees are super high.
    I found that the main difference between GCSE and A Level is the amount of effort you have to put it. If you want to do well in your exams, you can't rush homework, or not pay attention during class. Also revision wise, you defo cannot revise the full course the evening before the exam.
    I'm sure you'll do very well, good luck

ReputationRep:
    So I have 4 questions:
    In year 11 my school entered me both for GCSE Maths and Further maths (an A Level), I got an A in GCSE Maths but a U in Further Maths. Perhaps having done Maths at IGCSE/GCSE level might help you grasp some concepts easier, but I'm assuming that if you don't revise, and don't work hard, then the foundation that you built with your IGCSE won't help much.

ReputationRep:
    Often American universities require American students to do SAT or ACT tests, Subject tests and certain Advanced Placement courses
    Depending on the university you're interested in going to you may not have to do any subject tests, as your A levels will give information about your ability in different subjects, but most universities will require that you complete either the SAT or the ACT, which you should be able to find information on online. They are essentially tests of your reading and writing skills, and your basic maths skills.

ReputationRep:
    So I have 4 questions:

I think the igcse further maths would - my sister did it and said it even had some A2 maths in it and was basically a very condensed version of a level

Most american universities make entry decisions based on SAT scores, not A levels (which isn't really fair 'cause many universities in the UK accept SAT scores in place of A levels but eh)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.