Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Transferring to Queen Mary at 2nd year risky?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    I have applied to continue my studies on computer science in Queen Mary, I just finished my first year and I think I'll meet the 70% overall mark on the conditional offer. However, do you think it's too risky since Queen Mary says they won't count on my previous university grades and hence my first year will count 0% towards my degree classification and hence i only have 90% to work with?
    Also anyone has taken computer science at Queen Mary?

Thanks I appreciate any help and advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joenscp)
    Hello guys,
    I have applied to continue my studies on computer science in Queen Mary, I just finished my first year and I think I'll meet the 70% overall mark on the conditional offer. However, do you think it's too risky since Queen Mary says they won't count on my previous university grades and hence my first year will count 0% towards my degree classification and hence i only have 90% to work with?
    Also anyone has taken computer science at Queen Mary?

Thanks I appreciate any help and advice!
    It's quite unusual that first year marks have any weightings in a degree classification.

I would speak to them to make sure you've understood what they're saying - they might mean that they'll adjust the weightings so that 100% of your classification will be based on your 2nd and 3rd year grades. It would be unusual of them to accept you onto a degree with an automatic 10% penalty on degree classifications.

ReputationRep:
    "Please note that the modules taken at your previous higher education institution will count towards the total amount of credit necessary for the award of a Queen Mary University of London degree. However, the marks achieved in the modules taken at your previous higher education institution will not be used in the calculation of your degree classification. The degree classification will be calculated solely on the modules undertaken whilst studying at Queen Mary University of London; this is referred to as ‘truncated weighting’, which means that the calculation of your ‘College Mark’ which is used to determine your degree classification will be based on your study at Queen Mary University of London. "

I'm thinking about calling them to confirm this as it's making me really unsure of whether should I accept or not the offer.
    It's really bugging me...
    Thanks for replying though!

ReputationRep:
    "Please note that the modules taken at your previous higher education institution will count towards the total amount of credit necessary for the award of a Queen Mary University of London degree. However, the marks achieved in the modules taken at your previous higher education institution will not be used in the calculation of your degree classification. The degree classification will be calculated solely on the modules undertaken whilst studying at Queen Mary University of London; this is referred to as ‘truncated weighting’, which means that the calculation of your ‘College Mark’ which is used to determine your degree classification will be based on your study at Queen Mary University of London. "

I'm thinking about calling them to confirm this as it's making me really unsure of whether should I accept or not the offer.
    It's really bugging me...
    Thanks for replying though!
    That sounds like they'll work it out based on just your 2nd and 3rd year marks - not that they'll assume you got 0% in your first year and dock 10% of your classification

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's quite unusual that first year marks have any weightings in a degree classification.
    This seems to be the way they roll at QMUL http://www.arcs.qmul.ac.uk/docs/poli.../157480.pdf#67 (bottom of p57)

can't find anything about the 'truncated weighting' OP mentions in the academic regs though, which seems odd.

assuming you're very confident about being able to hit the ground running at a new university it might be alright if they'll scale up the 2nd and 3rd year marks appropriately... but I'd be worried this seems to be a verbal assurance rather than existing in black and white.

ReputationRep:
    I just called them and they confirmed that they will only count the 2nd and 3rd year! I'm so happy as I thought I was in a big disadvantage always thinking i would lose 10%! thank you guys I really appreciate!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I just called them and they confirmed that they will only count the 2nd and 3rd year! I'm so happy as I thought I was in a big disadvantage always thinking i would lose 10%! thank you guys I really appreciate!!!!!!!
    Excellent news

Just focus on ace-ing your current studies and using the summer to make sure you hit the ground running at QMUL academically and socially :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Excellent news

Just focus on ace-ing your current studies and using the summer to make sure you hit the ground running at QMUL academically and socially :cool:
    Thank you for your help have a good day!

ReputationRep:
    How did the transfer go? Any updates?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm curious to know how the transfer went too

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.