Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Backlash at 'patronising' EU #votein social media campaign aimed at young people Watch

• TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    I was just reading this article about a new campaign that launched today #Votin

It's been launched by education minister Sam Gyimah targeting the "easyJet generation" who travel and (according to research) don't follow the news.

People on Twitter aren't taking to it! Calling the campaign, which included slogans like “workin earnin makin voting”, “patronising” and said it talked down to young voters.

What do you think?

Name:  patro.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  84.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    It just screams "thought up in a corporate boardroom by a bunch of gray haired, out of touch men in their 50s trying to discuss what is hip."

ReputationRep:
    Well if the snapback fits...

The ignorant and the brain-dead get a vote too. Those nice shiny leaflets about trade, immigration, sovereignty etc. will go in one ear and out the other, so you can understand the concept. Whether it will actually work is another matter. I personally doubt it.

The leave campaign are allowing Boris Johnson, the unprincipled europhile egomaniac, to lead the charge so evidently they take the electorate for morons as well.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by TaipeiGhost)
    It just screams "thought up in a corporate boardroom by a bunch of gray haired, out of touch men in their 50s trying to discuss what is hip."
    Totally agree :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarleyZ)
    I was just reading this article about a new campaign that launched today #Votin

It's been launched by education minister Sam Gyimah targeting the "easyJet generation" who travel and (according to research) don't follow the news.

People on Twitter aren't taking to it! Calling the campaign, which included slogans like “workin earnin makin voting”, “patronising” and said it talked down to young voters.

What do you think?

Name:  patro.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  84.0 KB
    I think its a bit harsh criticising this sort of thing. I mean, campaigning is difficult, its easy for us to sit here at home criticising them, but at least they've tried to appeal to us. People usually complain not enough effort is made to appeal to young people, but when they try to they call it patronising or talking down. Well, either they try and appeal to us or they don't which do you want?

ReputationRep:
    So spot on.

ReputationRep:
    Scare the adults and offer the kids ice cream: David Cameron ladies and gentlemen.

ReputationRep:
    Chillin
    Meetin
    Tourin
    Good luck buying housin when you're older and in the real world

I think this would have read better

ReputationRep:
    I think the ad makes a fair point about young people losing the free movement of people around Europe.

Meanwhile this is Vote Leaves Ad

http://www.lbc.co.uk/the-vote-leave-...hs-vote-131097

This is utterly disingenuous as unlike the free movement the money we pay to the NHS is under our control and could be increased under government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I think the ad makes a fair point about young people losing the free movement of people around Europe.
    People are mocking the mechanics of the poster, not the merit.

Obviously it would be the intention of the "advertiser" as it were to highlight only one side of the argument, but the way the have gone about their side with "txt spk" and whatnot is leaving themselves wide open for due criticism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael3C)

Obviously it would be the intention of the "advertiser" as it were to highlight only one side of the argument, but the way the have gone about their side with "txt spk" and whatnot is leaving themselves wide open for due criticism.
    Meh, I've seen far worse.

Labours pink bus anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I've seen far worse.

Labours pink bus anyone?
    haha yeah that was awful. Betty Friedan was rolling in her grave somewhere.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Meanwhile this is Vote Leaves Ad

http://www.lbc.co.uk/the-vote-leave-...hs-vote-131097

This is utterly disingenuous as unlike the free movement the money we pay to the NHS is under our control and could be increased under government.
    Such an increase, however, would require taxes to be increased, or spending to be cut elsewhere, or more borrowing, none of which are particularly popular unless the populace has just voted for a net 8.5bn spending cut

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Such an increase, however, would require taxes to be increased, or spending to be cut elsewhere, or more borrowing, none of which are particularly popular unless the populace has just voted for a net 8.5bn spending cut
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sure but as the select committee chair said- Vote Leave are promising alsdins car as they make up for the shortfall of EU funding fheyre going to have no extra money to spend on the NHS and that's if you discount the idea that we would be hit economically.

Besides, people want the best of everything- less taxes, rail ownership, more public spending etc rtc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sure but as the select committee chair said- Vote Leave are promising alsdins car as they make up for the shortfall of EU funding fheyre going to have no extra money to spend on the NHS and that's if you discount the idea that we would be hit economically.

Besides, people want the best of everything- less taxes, rail ownership, more public spending etc rtc.
    Can you try fixing the typing so I actually have a clue what you're trying to say?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Cringe-worthy is an understatement. Wince-worthy?

However what you've got to take into account is that nearly all advertisements aimed at this demographic are out of touch by a few years. This is because the people who sign off on the ads are a while into their careers and are out of touch themselves.

Someone fresh out of uni might come up with a great ad but his/hers manager - who's maybe like 35 - will be like "pff, I don't know what this means. come back to me with something else". That's why stuff like "epic" is still used in adverts even though nobody under 35 has used that word in years. So these ads will always be crap and a miss for their targets.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.