Bullet points on long exm questions? Watch

savandwich
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey guys,

I did my WJEC ICT exam last week, and at the end of the paper was a 13-mark question about online gaming. "Excellent", I thought. "I know about this topic." The question had something like 'Give three input devices (blah blah)' 'Name two health hazards (blah blah blah)' and 'Discuss advantages and disadvantages of online gaming'. So I did it, and I'm pretty sure I made all the points, but the problem is, I bullet-pointed them all. I've read in the textbook since that we shouldn't bullet point answers to essay questions... but I just thought it would be easier for the examiner to mark! I've done similar things in my C1 and B1 exams. My question is, will I lose marks for bullet-pointing my answers to these sort-of questions (even if the content is right)?
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If it was a Quality Of Written Communication question, then yes, you will lose marks.
If not, I don't think it matters.
savandwich
Rep:
?
(Original post by surina16)
If it was a Quality Of Written Communication question, then yes, you will lose marks.
If not, I don't think it matters.
Nooooo D: but that's surely not fair, because it's never explicitly stated! If I find out that I'm only a few marks off of a higher grade etc, is it worth taking this issue up with WJEC/Edexcel?
z33
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
apparently examiners hate that - only do it when you have time left
and yes I only found this out like last month :cry2: been doing it all my life because prose is bare effort T_T
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by savandwich)
Nooooo D: but that's surely not fair, because it's never explicitly stated! If I find out that I'm only a few marks off of a higher grade etc, is it worth taking this issue up with WJEC/Edexcel?
I just looked at a random WJEC ICT paper and saw that on one question they do seem to assess QWC - it says "Remember that the quality of written communication will be assessed in this question". If your question didn't say that then you won't get marked down, but the examiners do definitely state when you are assessed on QWC.
I don't think you should talk to the exam board as they'll say it was your fault
savandwich
Rep:
?
I just looked at a random WJEC ICT paper and saw that on one question they do seem to assess QWC - it says "Remember that the quality of written communication will be assessed in this question". If your question didn't say that then you won't get marked down, but the examiners do definitely state when you are assessed on QWC.
I don't think you should talk to the exam board as they'll say it was your fault
But QWC isn't really specific... in English exams, it always says "all questions should be answered in continuous prose"... so surely they'd write that? I'm perfect with spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc so it seems... just really unfair
savandwich
Rep:
?
(Original post by z33)
and yes I only found this out like last month :cry2: been doing it all my life because prose is bare effort T_T
and here I thought they'd prefer it because it's easier to mark! :banghead:
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by savandwich)
But QWC isn't really specific... in English exams, it always says "all questions should be answered in continuous prose"... so surely they'd write that? I'm perfect with spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc so it seems... just really unfair
Idk I think they would just assume you know what they mean by QWC...
It's fine, you won't get 0 marks, you'll just lose some because it wasn't in continuous prose
TheConfusedMedic
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by z33)
but prose takes up more space when you don't know the answer
savandwich
Rep:
?
Idk I think they would just assume you know what they mean by QWC...
It's fine, you won't get 0 marks, you'll just lose some because it wasn't in continuous prose
Yeah, that's true. And maybe if I had a really nice examiner...?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (95)
18.66%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (324)
63.65%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.72%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.97%

Watched Threads