Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I did my WJEC ICT exam last week, and at the end of the paper was a 13-mark question about online gaming. "Excellent", I thought. "I know about this topic." The question had something like 'Give three input devices (blah blah)' 'Name two health hazards (blah blah blah)' and 'Discuss advantages and disadvantages of online gaming'. So I did it, and I'm pretty sure I made all the points, but the problem is, I bullet-pointed them all. I've read in the textbook since that we shouldn't bullet point answers to essay questions... but I just thought it would be easier for the examiner to mark! I've done similar things in my C1 and B1 exams. My question is, will I lose marks for bullet-pointing my answers to these sort-of questions (even if the content is right)?

ReputationRep:
    If it was a Quality Of Written Communication question, then yes, you will lose marks.
    If not, I don't think it matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surina16)
    If it was a Quality Of Written Communication question, then yes, you will lose marks.
    If not, I don't think it matters.
    Nooooo D: but that's surely not fair, because it's never explicitly stated! If I find out that I'm only a few marks off of a higher grade etc, is it worth taking this issue up with WJEC/Edexcel?

ReputationRep:
    apparently examiners hate that - only do it when you have time left
    and yes I only found this out like last month :cry2: been doing it all my life because prose is bare effort T_T

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savandwich)
    Nooooo D: but that's surely not fair, because it's never explicitly stated! If I find out that I'm only a few marks off of a higher grade etc, is it worth taking this issue up with WJEC/Edexcel?
    I just looked at a random WJEC ICT paper and saw that on one question they do seem to assess QWC - it says "Remember that the quality of written communication will be assessed in this question". If your question didn't say that then you won't get marked down, but the examiners do definitely state when you are assessed on QWC.
    I don't think you should talk to the exam board as they'll say it was your fault

ReputationRep:
    I just looked at a random WJEC ICT paper and saw that on one question they do seem to assess QWC - it says "Remember that the quality of written communication will be assessed in this question". If your question didn't say that then you won't get marked down, but the examiners do definitely state when you are assessed on QWC.
    I don't think you should talk to the exam board as they'll say it was your fault
    But QWC isn't really specific... in English exams, it always says "all questions should be answered in continuous prose"... so surely they'd write that? I'm perfect with spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc so it seems... just really unfair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    and yes I only found this out like last month :cry2: been doing it all my life because prose is bare effort T_T
    and here I thought they'd prefer it because it's easier to mark! :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savandwich)
    But QWC isn't really specific... in English exams, it always says "all questions should be answered in continuous prose"... so surely they'd write that? I'm perfect with spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc so it seems... just really unfair
    Idk I think they would just assume you know what they mean by QWC...
    It's fine, you won't get 0 marks, you'll just lose some because it wasn't in continuous prose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    but prose takes up more space when you don't know the answer

ReputationRep:
    Idk I think they would just assume you know what they mean by QWC...
    It's fine, you won't get 0 marks, you'll just lose some because it wasn't in continuous prose
    Yeah, that's true. And maybe if I had a really nice examiner...?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.