Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else sitting a GCSE maths exam on Thursday? Second time to be re-sitting it and have to pass this time to get into UNI

I'm sitting the higher paper!

Anybody got any idea what sort of topics will come up on Thursday? Rather than concentrating on others which won't be till the second exam?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halsx)
    Anybody else sitting a GCSE maths exam on Thursday? Second time to be re-sitting it and have to pass this time to get into UNI

I'm sitting the higher paper!

Anybody got any idea what sort of topics will come up on Thursday? Rather than concentrating on others which won't be till the second exam?

Thanks x
    I'm sitting my math on Thursday (I'm a 'mature' student) and know without a doubt that I will be failing. But at least I can say I tried my hardest. I've no idea what to expect on the first paper. Sorry for being no help whatsoever I wish you all the best for the future and hope you gain the grades you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PobNotBob)
    I'm sitting my math on Thursday (I'm a 'mature' student) and know without a doubt that I will be failing. But at least I can say I tried my hardest. I've no idea what to expect on the first paper. Sorry for being no help whatsoever I wish you all the best for the future and hope you gain the grades you need.
    Same here! Sitting maths GCSE for the very first time at 28, I'm on a D/C border, think I'll end up with a D and will have to retake. College has put me in for the higher paper as they feel it's easier to pass due to the lower grade boundary.

Stressing myself out, a lot of it just won't go in. There's been a lot to learn in 9 months when there's so many topics I've never done before.

Fingers crossed! I hope you get the grade you need!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatherineL88)
    Same here! Sitting maths GCSE for the very first time at 28, I'm on a D/C border, think I'll end up with a D and will have to retake. College has put me in for the higher paper as they feel it's easier to pass due to the lower grade boundary.

Stressing myself out, a lot of it just won't go in. There's been a lot to learn in 9 months when there's so many topics I've never done before.

Fingers crossed! I hope you get the grade you need!!
    I've been using this website to try and bump my grade up:

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/grade2.html

Thanks and good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PobNotBob)
    I've been using this website to try and bump my grade up:

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/grade2.html

Thanks and good luck to you!
    Great! Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I guess you're doing the Edexcel exam board??

Try these tomorrow or tonight if you want!

http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexce...-1-prediction/
    http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexce...-prediction-a/

These are brilliant because they have a tutorial Youtube walkthrough if you get stuck.

When going through this paper, look at what you don't understand and revise it until you do. Use TSR if you don't understand anything because we are a happy community !

Revise your algebra because it's worth 25% of the paper according to my teacher!

I think there will be a large question on vectors and some form of geometry proof question but they're just wild guesses.

Most importantly during the exam, relax. It's so easy to rush through questions and believe me, before you even reach half the questions, you've probably lost a whole grade boundary if you've rushed the questions. Ironically, work steadily through the paper and skip a question if you can't do it. It will probably come back to you later in the exam but it's worth doing a few questions you can do to gain marks instead of pondering your mind for 10 minutes about a 2 marker.

And please check, check check. Even A**********+++++++ candidates probably make mistakes so don't be cocky and waste your final 5 minutes sitting there all smug!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Hey!

I guess you're doing the Edexcel exam board??

Try these tomorrow or tonight if you want!

http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexce...-1-prediction/
    http://onmaths.com/mock_exams/edexce...-prediction-a/

These are brilliant because they have a tutorial Youtube walkthrough if you get stuck.

When going through this paper, look at what you don't understand and revise it until you do. Use TSR if you don't understand anything because we are a happy community !

Revise your algebra because it's worth 25% of the paper according to my teacher!

I think there will be a large question on vectors and some form of geometry proof question but they're just wild guesses.

Most importantly during the exam, relax. It's so easy to rush through questions and believe me, before you even reach half the questions, you've probably lost a whole grade boundary if you've rushed the questions. Ironically, work steadily through the paper and skip a question if you can't do it. It will probably come back to you later in the exam but it's worth doing a few questions you can do to gain marks instead of pondering your mind for 10 minutes about a 2 marker.

And please check, check check. Even A**********+++++++ candidates probably make mistakes so don't be cocky and waste your final 5 minutes sitting there all smug!

Would you still reccomend skipping a question of I can't do it even if your aiming for an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Would you still reccomend skipping a question of I can't do it even if your aiming for an A*?
    Definitely not! If you're aiming for an A* get full marks on the foundation part of the paper. You want to answer all questions. If you're legitimately stuck on a question, still put something down, anything! Read the question carefully because you have the knowledge you just need to apply it!

It's like Hannah and her sweets last year. If students actually understood what the question was asking, then they could of easily solved it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing GCSE maths tomorrow ( OCR ) and I'm SO scared. My parents and teachers are encouraging me to get a B. But I've been on a c/b borderline for quite a long time now😦

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing GCSE maths tomorrow but the foundation paper. My tutor at college wouldn't put me in for the higher one even though it sounds like it would have been easier to get the C grade!! I'm just hoping they don't throw topics in that I haven't learnt!

ReputationRep:
    Please Can anyone recommend the best way to revise for one day before the GCSE MATHS higher paper OCtR should I do a past paper or go through topics again ?

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what percentage/how many marks I each paper (sitting 3 papers) to get an overall C or a B?

I'm sitting the CBAC/WJEC papers.

Thanks x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.