Turn on thread page Beta

The Strokes watch

ReputationRep:
    Anyone a fan of The Strokes? I am ...

ReputationRep:
    I think there excellent, seeing them at V 2004 can't wait! Got both albums thought the first was better, Room on fire is still pretty damn good though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    I think there excellent, seeing them at V 2004 can't wait! Got both albums thought the first was better, Room on fire is still pretty damn good though.
    Cool! I was gonna go to V2004 with my friends, but the plans fell through. Fave song?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieshaxxx)
    Cool! I was gonna go to V2004 with my friends, but the plans fell through. Fave song?
    I really like "Barely Legal", how about u?

ReputationRep:
    They are a very good band, alot of the music press (NME especially) went well over the top about them though...I'll be seeing them at V2004 too as it happens...

fave song? either NYC Cops, Under Control or When It Started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    I really like "Barely Legal", how about u?
    Is This It - probably Hard To Explain

Room on Fire - Automatic Stop

Soooo hard to choose though! Are you male or female?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babyshambles)
    They are a very good band, alot of the music press (NME especially) went well over the top about them though...I'll be seeing them at V2004 too as it happens...

fave song? either NYC Cops, Under Control or When It Started.
    Oh yeah NYC Cops is a great song. NME always seem to hype bands up to start with and then try to bring them down as soon as possible ... I'm not an NME magazine fan really ...

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah NYC Cops is a great song. NME always seem to hype bands up to start with and then try to bring them down as soon as possible ... I'm not an NME magazine fan really ...
    The Vines is a perfect example of how fickle the NME writers are...the mag's really been going down hill for the last few years now, I buy it more out of habbit more than anything else nowadays, plus there is nothing better out there...but to be fair, it has been picking up slightly over the last month or so...

ReputationRep:
    The Vines is a perfect example of how fickle the NME writers are...the mag's really been going down hill for the last few years now, I buy it more out of habbit more than anything else nowadays, plus there is nothing better out there...but to be fair, it has been picking up slightly over the last month or so...
    Yeah I agree. I haven't really ever got into the habit of reading it tbh - it does nothing for me really. I used to read Q Magazine but that has gone downhill a lot as well recently. Maybe we should start our own ...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe we should start our own ...
    Yes...that would rule...surely it would be the best magazine ever?

But what to call it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes...that would rule...surely it would be the best magazine ever?

But what to call it?
    Hm of course it would be the best magazine ever! But we might have to employ someone to name it cos I have no idea ....

Anyways what other music/bands are you into?

ReputationRep:
    bit of everything really, mostly listen to Alternative/Indie type stuff and 60's rock and roll...

some favouritests:

The Von Bondies
    Razorlight
    The Stone Roses
    The Pixies
    James Brown
    Radiohead
    Super Furry Animals
    The Smiths
    The Beatles
    The Who
    The Jam
    The Libertines
    Otis Redding
    The Clash
    REM
    Stevie Wonder

and so on...

how about you?

ReputationRep:
    bit of everything really, mostly listen to Alternative/Indie type stuff and 60's rock and roll...

some favouritests:

The Von Bondies
    Razorlight
    The Stone Roses
    The Pixies
    James Brown
    Radiohead
    Super Furry Animals
    The Smiths
    The Beatles
    The Who
    The Jam
    The Libertines
    Otis Redding
    The Clash
    REM
    Stevie Wonder

and so on...

how about you?

Cool taste, although I'm sure you don't have to be told that

The Libertines (just downloaded their new album off the internet)
    The Strokes
    Oasis
    Razorlight (although just getting into them)
    Radiohead
    The Beatles
    .... more I can't remember at the moment

My brother is a big fan of The Smiths, but I haven't got into them yet... I think Morrisey's voice is a bit of an acquired taste!

ReputationRep:
    I just downloaded the new Libs album too...must say i'm a bit disappointed, the album was definetly rushed what with practially all the songs being really old and available on the Babyshambles Sessions for ages, the new mixies of the songs aren't great in my oppinion either, with some of them, I even prefered the versions from the Babyshambles Sessions...

Saying that though, this is only after a first listen, and the songs themselves are of course fantastic...it's looking unlikely now, but hopefully there will be a third album at some point with alot more new material...

ReputationRep:
    I just downloaded the new Libs album too...must say i'm a bit disappointed, the album was definetly rushed what with practially all the songs being really old and available on the Babyshambles Sessions for ages, the new mixies of the songs aren't great in my oppinion either, with some of them, I even prefered the versions from the Babyshambles Sessions...

Saying that though, this is only after a first listen, and the songs themselves are of course fantastic...it's looking unlikely now, but hopefully there will be a third album at some point with alot more new material...
    I've still gotta listen through it a few times to give my true opinion but I don't think that this new album is quite as "immediate" as the first. But then that was true with The Strokes as well and now I love both of their albums, so I'll see... However I'm upset not to see Dont Look Back Into The Sun on there as that song is class, prob one of my favourites. I think my fave on the album at the moment is "Can't Stand Me Now" that's rather good.

Hope they do have a chance to get together with Pete and make another album and I haven't had a chance to see them live yet!

ReputationRep:
    I've heard all the songs before, and they are all really good, it's just the new mixes i'm not too keen on. I guess hearing songs from very early stages through to their final mixes causes the songs to lose some of their impact, and if i hadn't heard theese songs before, I'd probably think the album was the best thing ever...

If you haven't allready checked them out allready, download some stuff from the Babyshambles Sessions, most of the new album is from theese sessions, and there is quite alot of good stuff on here that didn't make the album...

clicky

you can also get the Sailor Sessions by clicking the link on the left..

EDIT: Ok...none of the links work... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard all the songs before, and they are all really good, it's just the new mixes i'm not too keen on. I guess hearing songs from very early stages through to their final mixes causes the songs to lose some of their impact, and if i hadn't heard theese songs before, I'd probably think the album was the best thing ever...

If you haven't allready checked them out allready, download some stuff from the Babyshambles Sessions, most of the new album is from theese sessions, and there is quite alot of good stuff on here that didn't make the album...

clicky

you can also get the Sailor Sessions by clicking the link on the left..
    Yeah you are prob right, the songs have prob lost their impact to you, whereas with me I haven't heard the original mixes anyway, so have nothing to compare them with.

How had you heard all of the songs before? Gigs or something?

Yeah I have the Babyshambles Sessions on my computer thanks, and yeah there is some good stuff on there. I don't have the Sailor Sessions though, but will download, thanks for the links

EDIT: Okay maybe they got taken down for some strange reason ... oh ... anywhere else I can get the Sailor Sessions from?

ReputationRep:
    well there are older versions of most of the songs on various sessions (Babyshambles, Sailor, Legs 11 etc...) other than that, i've heard a few of them live before (they played Can't Stand Me and The Saga last time I saw them)

I can't seem to find anywhere else that has the sessions, loads of Libertines sites seem to be closing down all over the place...erm...do you have Soulseek?

ReputationRep:
    i do, looking forward to seeing them at TITP

ReputationRep:
    well there are older versions of most of the songs on various sessions (Babyshambles, Sailor, Legs 11 etc...) other than that, i've heard a few of them live before (they played Can't Stand Me and The Saga last time I saw them)
    Oh right, I see.

So, what's your favourite song ever (by anyone) if you had to say? Or one of your favourites at least....

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.