Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I'm fairly new here and completely new with the UK school system, so I really need some advice. I'm currently in my last year of high school in the Netherlands. We have three different kinds of 'levels' here, I'm doing VWO (which is the highest level). Grades aren't really that important here, it's more the level that you're in that decides which kind of school you're going to. Anyway, I am going to study in the UK next year, mainly because they don't have the course I'm interested in studying here in the Netherlands.

To summarize it all (shortly): Applied to 5 schools through UCAS. Got conditional offers on 4 of them, unconditional from one school. Those conditional offers wanted me to have a 7 on average on VWO, and before my exams I had a 5.9 average. Whoops. And the university I received an unconditional offer from was my #1 choice anyway, so I accepted that offer. Oh, I didn't have to send my current grades there - just my IELTS certificate (I had an 8.0 for that).

So why do I have a problem? I just had my final exams and there's a 90% chance I am going to fail. Now I have no idea what to do - should I go without getting my high school diploma? Or should I get my diploma before moving to the UK? I can always get my high school diploma after studying.. And how do I convince everyone I should go there without getting my diploma first?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Sofinite)
    Hi guys,
    I'm fairly new here and completely new with the UK school system, so I really need some advice. I'm currently in my last year of high school in the Netherlands. We have three different kinds of 'levels' here, I'm doing VWO (which is the highest level). Grades aren't really that important here, it's more the level that you're in that decides which kind of school you're going to. Anyway, I am going to study in the UK next year, mainly because they don't have the course I'm interested in studying here in the Netherlands.

To summarize it all (shortly): Applied to 5 schools through UCAS. Got conditional offers on 4 of them, unconditional from one school. Those conditional offers wanted me to have a 7 on average on VWO, and before my exams I had a 5.9 average. Whoops. And the university I received an unconditional offer from was my #1 choice anyway, so I accepted that offer. Oh, I didn't have to send my current grades there - just my IELTS certificate (I had an 8.0 for that).

So why do I have a problem? I just had my final exams and there's a 90% chance I am going to fail. Now I have no idea what to do - should I go without getting my high school diploma? Or should I get my diploma before moving to the UK? I can always get my high school diploma after studying.. And how do I convince everyone I should go there without getting my diploma first?
    If you can do your degree without the high school diploma then no harm doing that as long as you can get it in the future. Do you think you might want to stay and work in the uk after your degree?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.