The Student Room Group

Eating chicken gives me a sore tummy and makes MY FARTS STINK!!!

You read correctly.

I've been eating chicken for 6 days per week following my gym workouts because I need the protein. But I've noticed a distinct change in the frequency and smellyness of my farts. They are now SO BAD that they burn the insides of the nostrils of anyone within a six foot radius!

Also, I get frequent stomach pains. The only food item that has changed in my diet is the chicken. But I need the protein it provides.

What should I do? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

its obviously making you sick.. dont sacrifice your health for the gym. Get protein from other places.. eggs maybe, or at least vary it a bit.
Stay away from chicken, clearly. There are plenty of other sources of protein available other than chicken including eggs, cheese, beans, lentils, yogurt, nuts...
Reply 3
beach surf babe
Stay away from chicken, clearly. There are plenty of other sources of protein available other than chicken including eggs, cheese, beans, lentils, yogurt, nuts...

Thank you for your advice. But...

eggs = constipation
cheese = fattening :eek:
beans = which kind?
lentils = what? :redface:
yoghurt = much lower in protein than chicken
nuts = fattening :eek:
Nuts and cheese are only fattening in large quantities. Mix it up a bit. Use any kind of beans-chickpeas, kidney beans, black eye beans....

And lentils: http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/Y/yawye/lentils.html

Aim for variety!! :biggrin:
Reply 5
beach surf babe
Nuts and cheese are only fattening in large quantities. Mix it up a bit. Use any kind of beans-chickpeas, kidney beans, black eye beans....

And lentils: http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/Y/yawye/lentils.html

Aim for variety!! :biggrin:

thanks for the info! :five: :biggrin:

Is it possible to just down protein pills?

Also why is chicken doing this to me?? I thought it was healthy?? :confused:
Its always better to get protein from food sources than supplements. As for why, I don't know. Maybe its to do with the fact that you have it so often. Give it a miss for a week or two and then reintroduce but only have it a few days a week, not everyday.
Reply 7
Do you eat the chicken with anything else or on its own?

In the "You Are What You Eat" book there's something about food combining and how if food is combined wrongly it causes gas because your body can't digest it properly.
Reply 8
liladriel
Do you eat the chicken with anything else or on its own?

In the "You Are What You Eat" book there's something about food combining and how if food is combined wrongly it causes gas because your body can't digest it properly.

I eat it on its own.
Reply 9
Soy stuff has lots of protein. And peanut butter. Maybe you should try some fake chicken? I can hardly tell the difference.
Reply 10
sarbruis
Maybe you should try some fake chicken? I can hardly tell the difference.

oooh thats an idea! Is it expensive?
I get the same effects from chocolate and othersweet stuff like cake and puddings in general, sadly.. but I still eat it cos it tastes so good!
Reply 12
Tufts
oooh thats an idea! Is it expensive?

The slices are around 1.29 a pack,
quorn yeah :biggrin:
Reply 13
Also tufts cus you eat a lot of bran flakes(right :redface:?) could your smelly toots be coming from that by any chance lol?
Reply 14
When I know I need protein I chow down a tin of tuna. Low fat, healthy, cheap.
Are you taking any protein shakes, creatine, supplements etc? Often these can be the source of the dodgy tummy and smelly farts.
All Bran is the worst for that heh heh! but bran flakes probably has a lot of fibre in it too.
There is a medicine which eliviates the problem of smelling f**ts, go to the chemist and say your grandma has really bad flactulance i think it £6 a bottle it gets rid of them and you can keep eating the chicken.
Reply 18
Lilian
Also tufts cus you eat a lot of bran flakes(right :redface:?) could your smelly toots be coming from that by any chance lol?

nah. I've been eating bran flakes for years. This only started when I began eating chicken regularly.
Reply 19
cameleon
When I know I need protein I chow down a tin of tuna. Low fat, healthy, cheap.

I cant do that on a regular basis though because I will get mercury poisoning, and I need regular protein.

Latest