The Student Room Group

residency in France and ECN

Hello

I am in my last year of medicine in the UK (graduating in July) and I was wondering about preparing the ECN examinations next year so as to compete for residency in France

Does anyone know if I can make my application next year, while completing my F1 year in the UK ?

should I have made my application this year, as I am graduating this summer ?

the relevant legislation specifies that application to stand the ECN should be made during the 6th year of medicine, and as we all know, in the UK we are already registered (provisionally) after our 5th year, and obtain full registration after F1 year (which is, so to say, our 6th year, for European equivalence purposes ...)
(edited 7 years ago)
Have you sat the ECN in the end or are you sitting it at the end of next year? Because I am also interested in the possibility of sitting it in the 5th year
Reply 2
Hi! Here is the link for European students who would like to register for the ECN in France.
http://www.cng.sante.fr/Concours-special-a-titre-europeen.html
About your precise case, I think you should send them an email, they will tell you precisely when to register regarding the UK equivalence.

I am a 3rd year student in Medicine in France, and if you don't mind, I'm curious to know what makes you want to come in France? Actually, I was thinking about going to the UK (if still possible) once I've finished my 6th year here. I could go into Med school in Scotland at first, but I got in here and it was easier to stay in France. But the wish to go to the UK never went away.
I am also interested. May I ask how things turned out for you? Did you do the ECN? I am just about to sit for my final OSCEs and start my foundation years in Malta.
Original post by Nadzzzzz
Hi! Here is the link for European students who would like to register for the ECN in France.
http://www.cng.sante.fr/Concours-special-a-titre-europeen.html
About your precise case, I think you should send them an email, they will tell you precisely when to register regarding the UK equivalence.

I am a 3rd year student in Medicine in France, and if you don't mind, I'm curious to know what makes you want to come in France? Actually, I was thinking about going to the UK (if still possible) once I've finished my 6th year here. I could go into Med school in Scotland at first, but I got in here and it was easier to stay in France. But the wish to go to the UK never went away.

Sorry to interrupt .... do you know if a Canadian student (or any internationals for that matter) who graduate from a UK medicine course in England can apply to do post-graduate training in France? And may I ask what is ECN? I speak read and write French (though not perfectly) and I always want to try live in France.
Reply 5
“Residency” in France is shorter hence it is attractive to some people... may I ask OP @uamuam do you speak French? How do you plan on doing well in the ECN? How did you keep your medical French up to scratch in med school?
Original post by Jhus2
“Residency” in France is shorter hence it is attractive to some people... may I ask OP @uamuam do you speak French? How do you plan on doing well in the ECN? How did you keep your medical French up to scratch in med school?

May I ask how 'short' is post-graduate training in France? How many years for a GP, for instance?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
May I ask how 'short' is post-graduate training in France? How many years for a GP, for instance?

GP is 3 years after med school I think , for someone from UK would be 3 years after F1
Original post by Jhus2
GP is 3 years after med school I think , for someone from UK would be 3 years after F1

Thank you very much .... so France is similar to the US in terms of program length for GP/Family Medicine. Do you happen to know if these French 'residency' programs accept international medical graduates with a UK MBBS?
Reply 9
Thank you very much .... so France is similar to the US in terms of program length for GP/Family Medicine. Do you happen to know if these French 'residency' programs accept international medical graduates with a UK MBBS?

Yes they do but you’re going to have to know French
In terms of qualification it’s fine
Original post by Jhus2
Yes they do but you’re going to have to know French
In terms of qualification it’s fine

Do you know if they require a certain standardized French exams for internationals? In Canada the Province of Quebec has French tests which foreign doctors or nurses must pass before they can apply to work in the province.
Reply 11
Do you know if they require a certain standardized French exams for internationals? In Canada the Province of Quebec has French tests which foreign doctors or nurses must pass before they can apply to work in the province.

ECN
Original post by Jhus2
ECN

Thank you very much.
Reply 13
Thank you very much.

Do you speak French? Is this something your considering?
Original post by Jhus2
Do you speak French? Is this something your considering?

Yes i speak French as a second language.
Reply 15
Yes i speak French as a second language.

Alright, I do too but I don’t know if my French would be good enough. I assume you’re near the end of med school, have you been able to keep up with medicine in French or is this something you’re planning to learn for the purpose of the ECN?
Original post by Jhus2
Alright, I do too but I don’t know if my French would be good enough. I assume you’re near the end of med school, have you been able to keep up with medicine in French or is this something you’re planning to learn for the purpose of the ECN?

Not the OP, but in my humble opinion French is French (and yes Canadian French is French too in my case), I think if your French is at an okay level you could easily pick up the necessary extra vocabularies used by medics, don't worry about it, there are people I know who are studying medicine in the UK and they are from a country where people only speak English as a second or third language and they do perfectly fine in UK med schools. You will survive.
Reply 17
Not the OP, but in my humble opinion French is French (and yes Canadian French is French too in my case), I think if your French is at an okay level you could easily pick up the necessary extra vocabularies used by medics, don't worry about it, there are people I know who are studying medicine in the UK and they are from a country where people only speak English as a second or third language and they do perfectly fine in UK med schools. You will survive.

Thanks for your answer!
But that’s not the same thing you see, in med school you’re learning so you can easily pick up. But if you do postgrad education or exams in France you should already know!
You see what I mean?
I think it would take a long time for me to pick up even though my first language is French.
+ In English everyone gets away with making spelling mistakes but French people are very intolerant towards spelling errors rofl 🤣🤣
Original post by Jhus2
Thanks for your answer!
But that’s not the same thing you see, in med school you’re learning so you can easily pick up. But if you do postgrad education or exams in France you should already know!
You see what I mean?
I think it would take a long time for me to pick up even though my first language is French.
+ In English everyone gets away with making spelling mistakes but French people are very intolerant towards spelling errors rofl 🤣🤣

I would take a course if you still worry, something along the line of "French for Health Care workers" ... from the patient's point of view, your attitude and your care is more important than your language!
Hi! Sorry for late reply! As long as you hold a European degree there is no problem as long as you take the ECN.
ECN refers to Epreuves Classentes Nationales, it's a "concours", all the final year medical students of France tale a 3 days test that ranks them from 1 to some 8000 something, and first one picks up the specialty and city he wants.
The exams consist on 3 sessions of 6 clinical cases, 1 session of 120 (I think) multiple choice question and a session of 2 critical reading of scientific articles. You can find on internet the list of topics that we need to study (just type liste item ECNi).
To be honest it could be quite challenging for someone who don't speak french well enough, but I guess if you start reading and preparing those clinical cases in French it could work out. Also there is no eliminating grade for now, so even if you're the last one ranked you could get GP, psychiatry, occupational doctor...
Also this system will change within 2 years it will be something completely different afterwards, with interviews, grades etc...

Good luck to you all and you can contact me if needed :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending