Does humidity shorten the life span of a light bulb?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by crana)
I reckon though that in your average kitchen, bulbs near the kettle or stove would be in a more humid environment than the sink, because (in our house anyway) we usually run cold water in the sink mainly just to wash things, but often have kettle/pans with lots of steam.

I spose if you do lots of washing up in very hot water tho then the sink area would be more humid - but I'd still expect bulbs near stove/kettle to be affected.
True, we hardly do any washign up as as we have a dish washer, but the tumble dryer is not a condenser type so the outlet is in the kicthen going into a bucket (very posh) this produces a lot of condensation, the two bulbs near to this have gone.
Rayban
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maybe its not to do with humidity, but to do with the power supply. Notice how when you switch the kettle on or something te light flickers. This works the same with the shower, maybe that has something to do with it.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
True, we hardly do any washign up as as we have a dish washer, but the tumble dryer is not a condenser type so the outlet is in the kicthen going into a bucket (very posh) this produces a lot of condensation, the two bulbs near to this have gone.

what about the ones by the kettle / cooker? (lol, not sure how many bulbs you have in your kitchen..)
AT82
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Rayban)
Maybe its not to do with humidity, but to do with the power supply. Notice how when you switch the kettle on or something te light flickers. This works the same with the shower, maybe that has something to do with it.
They should be on totaly different circuits, the lighting on the lighting main the kettle on the ring main. Only lamps should flicker, the lights shouldn't unless there is an external power supply problem or your fuse box is overloaded.

Crana - There are 4 bulbs in the kitchen, 3 in the bathroom, I like light bulbs. My second word I ever spoke was light bulb.
Rayban
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh well, mine are on different circuits, but still flicker. Its not that noticable, you have to be really watching to notice.
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
They should be on totaly different circuits, the lighting on the lighting main the kettle on the ring main. Only lamps should flicker, the lights shouldn't unless there is an external power supply problem or your fuse box is overloaded.

Crana - There are 4 bulbs in the kitchen, 3 in the bathroom, I like light bulbs. My second word I ever spoke was light bulb.

surely your second would have been light and your third bulb

my first word was dog,so i am told
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (90)
13.87%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (53)
8.17%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (83)
12.79%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (78)
12.02%
Other reasons are stopping me going (83)
12.79%
Nothing is stopping me going (262)
40.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed