Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I need some help working out what on earth goes on in electromagnetism. I have an exam tomorrow and I need to know about it.

Specifically:

Electromagnetic induction
    Right hand rule and left hand rule
    Increasing (insert word here) by increasing turns of coil, current or magnet power

Also what would I write if I was asked:

Describe how you would use a Geiger-Muller tube and counter to measure radioactivity (4)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Electromagnetic induction is the production of an electromotive force or voltage across an electrical conductor due to its dynamic interaction with a magnetic field.

Right hand grid rule is, your thumb represents the current and the rest of your fingers (grip) represents the magnetic field lines.

Left Hand Fleminig's rule is quite simply. Your thumb represents the movement, your first finger represents the field lines and your second finger represents the direction of the current.

If you want to increase the Magnetic Field, you increase the size of the current by maybe having more cells. And increase the strength of the magnetic field (stronger magnets)

Geiger Muller Tube detects radiation. Each time it absorbs radiation, it transmits an electrical pulse to a counting machine.

Hope I helped.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    has anyone got the feeling that this test is going to be a *****?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namelessjeff)
    has anyone got the feeling that this test is going to be a *****?
    Bio and Chem was different to other past papers so yeah probably

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.