Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is in the right section as I haven't posted here before.

I am in a bit of a situation here. My firm choice is Leeds Beckett, my insurance choice is Huddersfield.

I originally planned of attending Leeds Beckett studying Graphic Design with the intention of moving away. I knew that based upon my parents income, my maintenance loan would only JUST cover my accommodation (which I was fine with). After receiving offers from both universities I went on to accept Leeds as my firm choice and Huddersfield as my Insurance. I thought that both courses looked equally as good with Leeds tipping it for me because I wanted to move there.

After many emails telling me to apply for my student finance as the deadline was on the 27th of May (3 days from now), I finally got round to applying (I was waiting to finish my college course before looking into applying for my finance). I just finished my application and was onto going through the section with my parents where they email them individually asking about their financial earnings. It said on the application for my mother to declare her earnings from the tax year 14/15, this is where I run into a major problem. My mother got a new job back in august which was a massive pay cut which meant that my calculations for what I would get as my student finance were now completely wrong and with new calculations based upon her wage from the 14/15 tax year (combined with my fathers), I would get £1500 less in my loan. My parents cannot financially support me like the government expects them to therefore I cannot physically afford to move to Leeds.

After finding out this news at such a late date I would prefer to attend Huddersfield (Closer to home) and stay at home as I have no other option. This means that I have 1. Accepted Leeds as my firm choice and 2. applied for student finance telling them I am attending Leeds Beckett and moving out.

I have looked all over the internet and it appears to be a very complicated process to switch my insurance and firm but not only that I have to then update my student finance application which has to be sent off for properly by Friday. Is there anything that I can do in such a short space of time?

TL;DR Found out I can't physically afford to move to Leeds (Firm), want to switch to Huddersfield (Insurance) AND stay at home yet I have applied for my student finance telling them I am attending Leeds and moving out. Student finance deadline is 27th May (in 3 days).

Sorry if this is long winded or confusing and thanks for any help.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by dtheman)
    I am in a bit of a situation here. My firm choice is Leeds Beckett, my insurance choice is Huddersfield

I originally planned of attending Leeds Beckett studying Graphic Design with the intention of moving away. I knew that based upon my parents income, my maintenance loan would only JUST cover my accommodation (which I was fine with). After receiving offers from both universities I went on to accept Leeds as my firm choice and Huddersfield as my Insurance. I thought that both courses looked equally as good with Leeds tipping it for me because I wanted to move there.
    Give ucas and the universities a call and ask whether they will agree to them being switched, and do it before august otherwise its gets more difficult.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by dtheman)
    Not sure if this is in the right section as I haven't posted here before.

I am in a bit of a situation here. My firm choice is Leeds Beckett, my insurance choice is Huddersfield.

After many emails telling me to apply for my student finance as the deadline was on the 27th of May (3 days from now), I finally got round to applying (I was waiting to finish my college course before looking into applying for my finance). I just finished my application and was onto going through the section with my parents where they email them individually asking about their financial earnings. It said on the application for my mother to declare her earnings from the tax year 14/15, this is where I run into a major problem. My mother got a new job back in august which was a massive pay cut which meant that my calculations for what I would get as my student finance were now completely wrong and with new calculations based upon her wage from the 14/15 tax year (combined with my fathers), I would get £1500 less in my loan. My parents cannot financially support me like the government expects them to therefore I cannot physically afford to move to Leeds.

After finding out this news at such a late date I would prefer to attend Huddersfield (Closer to home) and stay at home as I have no other option. This means that I have 1. Accepted Leeds as my firm choice and 2. applied for student finance telling them I am attending Leeds Beckett and moving out.

I have looked all over the internet and it appears to be a very complicated process to switch my insurance and firm but not only that I have to then update my student finance application which has to be sent off for properly by Friday. Is there anything that I can do in such a short space of time?

TL;DR Found out I can't physically afford to move to Leeds (Firm), want to switch to Huddersfield (Insurance) AND stay at home yet I have applied for my student finance telling them I am attending Leeds and moving out. Student finance deadline is 27th May (in 3 days).

Sorry if this is long winded or confusing and thanks for any help.
    You can ask for your finance to be based on your parents estimated income for 2016/17 tax year.

Get her to fill out the CYI form here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-f...ails/year-1617

This can be done after the deadline without causing problems. Don't swap your firm and insurance for financial reasons unless you absolutely have to. Your student finance application can easily be switched over later on if the reassessment doesn't come through as expected and it turns out you can't afford to move out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.