Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm having some trouble with this. I'm going to be using the London Underground next week but aren't sure how I can make sure I get the right Tube.

Okay, so, does ach line (the coloured lines on the map) have one type of train which goes up and down the line and stops at the same stations, etc?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and you go to the side of the station that will take you the correct way.

It looks confusing, but there are people and signs to help you once you're there.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Basically yes. Look where you are and then follow the line around to your destination station. Besides pating, the only other thing to remember is to make sure you catch the tube going the right way either Eastbound or Westbound. and you cna see that from the signs or on front of the tube, where it shows the ultimate destination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fractite)
    Yeah, and you go to the side of the station that will take you the correct way.

It looks confusing, but there are people and signs to help you once you're there.
    Thanks, that's what I thought.

However, so what about when the line splits into two? Like here with the Northern Line?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Basically yes. Look where you are and then follow the line around to your destination station. Besides pating, the only other thing to remember is to make sure you catch the tube going the right way either Eastbound or Westbound. and you cna see that from the signs or on front of the tube, where it shows the ultimate destination.
    Thanks. But, how do I know which way I need to go, Eastbound or Westbound? I'm guessing there's like a sign or something pointing on the map showing the station I need to get to saying 'Westbound' or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by similarBlank)

However, so what about when the line splits into two? Like here with the Northern Line?

Those are stations that allow you to change lines.

Take Elephant & Castle as an example. If you're on the black (Northern) Line, you can either carry on with your journey or change trains so that you're on the brown (Bakerloo) line.

NB: I don't know if brown is the Bakerloo line 100%, never had any reason to take it before.

Edit: I misunderstood you.

While you're waiting at the platform, the thingy that tells you how long it'll take for a train to arrive will have separate destinations on it if the line splits in two.

Find a map, look for which station you want, and get on whichever train goes to that station :yy:
    You can trace your finger down from the end of the line to work it out.

ReputationRep:

This means that if you get off at that particular station (Elephant&Castle) you will be faced with two different opportunities to either get back on the same line you came from or get onto a new line. It's how people commute around London.

So, from Elephant and Castle, you can choose to get the bakerloo line or stay on the northern line

I hope that makes sense, lol

ReputationRep:

At the station, there will be an electronic sign saying where the next train is going to. So the one that goes to Elephant and Castle will eventually go to High Barnet (the right one) whereas the Waterloo one will go to Edgware.

I believe.

ReputationRep:
    oh nvm then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fractite)
    At the station, there will be an electronic sign saying where the next train is going to. So the one that goes to Elephant and Castle will eventually go to High Barnet (the right one) whereas the Waterloo one will go to Edgware.

I believe.
    Thanks again, and to everyone else.

I think I put my arrow too close to the Elephant & Castle station, but I meant to put it nearer to Kennington.

I don't recall noticing an electric sign on the Tube before, but clearly this seems to be right. Here's a picture:

• Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks. But, how do I know which way I need to go, Eastbound or Westbound? I'm guessing there's like a sign or something pointing on the map showing the station I need to get to saying 'Westbound' or something?
    Im sure they have already posted it but look at your map follow the line to your destination station and then follow it right to the end of the line to the terminus station and you need to catch a train which says it terminates there. It says that on signs or on the front of the tube. All the platforms are really well marked.

When you get on the tube , just take a note of the next station and if its on the way to your target station, then you know its right. If its 1 step away then you know you are on the wrong train and just need to get off to catch one going the other way.

Its very intuitive and really easy.

Use this travel planner
    https://tfl.gov.uk/plan-a-journey/

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again, and to everyone else.

I think I put my arrow too close to the Elephant & Castle station, but I meant to put it nearer to Kennington.

I don't recall noticing an electric sign on the Tube before, but clearly this seems to be right. Here's a picture:

Name:  OPOP.PNG
Views: 74
Size:  158.9 KB
    So the display board lcd thing tells you the final destination of the train, you use it to see its route

See attachment

ReputationRep:
    Tips For Using The London Underground

-When you get to the platform remember to stay behind the yellow line as you might fall in to the tracks if you're past that line.
    -The doors on the tube are automatic so you don't need to press a button to open them.
    -Also you don't need to put you hand out to signal an approaching tube to stop the driver ( Who earns £50K a year for sitting down) knows they have to stop the train at each platform.
    -You can never get a decent signal in the underground so if you're a Spotify free user you are going to be bored for that whole journey

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 24, 2016
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.