Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I have already put down my firm and insurance but I was wondering what everyone thought was more important: Overall uni ratings or the Subject Departments rating?? I landed up putting the uni that is rated higher for English lit. But lower overall than my insurance which is rankest better over all but lower for English lit. .... Thoughts??
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustPolly101)
    So I have already put down my firm and insurance but I was wondering what everyone thought was more important: Overall uni ratings or the Subject Departments rating?? I landed up putting the uni that is rated higher for English lit. But lower overall than my insurance which is rankest better over all but lower for English lit. .... Thoughts??
    Ratings should not even be in this question.

At the end of the day, ratings are not going to determine what degree classification you will get.

You need to consider whether the course is right for you; if the modules are what you are into; the environment of the uni and its surrounding places; whether you can afford to live in that city and possible job opportunities as well.

There's lots of people who do very well to get a grad job even if they went to the 55th ranked uni over the 23rd ranked uni.

It shouldn't be a huge decision. I went from a top 20 uni to a top 50 uni simply because the top 50 uni has one of the most oldest and original literary archives in the world and the uni is world known for its publishing grad schemes and grad jobs that have ties with Oxford/Cambridge World Press, Penguin and Barnes and Noble.

It's not necessarily about where you go, but what you get out from being there.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks! I just needed someone to say that - I feel like everyone else's (e.g. Parents, teachers and friends) are always only looking at a units ranking and reputation😅😅
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustPolly101)
    Okay, thanks! I just needed someone to say that - I feel like everyone else's (e.g. Parents, teachers and friends) are always only looking at a units ranking and reputation😅😅
    Don't worry hon.

Parents are still stuck in the past when uni ranking really mattered.

Teachers will only say ranking is important because the more students from their schools that go to top uni, the more recognition that school gets. They care about their own jobs, not the student's well-being (some teachers).

Friends have a naive misplaced judgement that if you don't get into the top 20, then you're life is doomed and there's no point in going to uni.

I blame society and its institutions. We are taught from an early age if you don't come first, that means your last and that isn't becoming to anyone if you don't succeed in gaining a top place. But that's a different story!

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.