Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are my chances of getting considered into a top uni with a B in AS physics? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Today i sat my AS physics exam and i know i did not prepare as much as i should have and i feel its likely that i come out with a B at the end of the two exams.
    The subjects im doing are Maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.
    I really want to study physics in university and i do well in my other 3 subjects.

I predict ill get an A in maths, further maths, and chemistry but a B in physics. Let's say i do come out with these grades, what is the likeliness of top universities for Physics (Cambridge, Manchester, etc) considering me?

Is it at all possible that one of these universities will send me a conditional offer for the physics course? Or do these universities only look at students that get 90+ ums in their physics exam?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    With physics, your AS no longer counts for your A2 in the new spec. Therefore, with a good word from your teacher and good personal statement, you should be fine as long as you do well in your A2 exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyetu)
    With physics, your AS no longer counts for your A2 in the new spec. Therefore, with a good word from your teacher and good personal statement, you should be fine as long as you do well in your A2 exam.

The thing is, i apply to these universities after i get my AS results so unis can only look at my AS results before considering me. Therefore no matter how well i do in the A2 exams, my AS exams are what the unis look for my consideration right? Or am i missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exodee)
    The thing is, i apply to these universities after i get my AS results so unis can only look at my AS results before considering me. Therefore no matter how well i do in the A2 exams, my AS exams are what the unis look for my consideration right? Or am i missing something?
    I'm in the same situation. Same subjects as well. I think we can just apply or reapply in year 13 with actual grades so I'm not sure if it matters too much. I mean, they can't deny you if you achieve all A*s next year can they lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueSubjects)
    I'm in the same situation. Same subjects as well. I think we can just apply or reapply in year 13 with actual grades so I'm not sure if it matters too much. I mean, they can't deny you if you achieve all A*s next year can they lol
    Well that would mean taking a gap year because if they haven't offered you a place, then you wont be able to get into the university for that year, but if you do get all A*s at the end of A2, it would be worth waiting a year just to go to a good uni

ReputationRep:
    bump

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.