Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My given name is very short and I feel like it is more a nickname than a full name. I know that it is a name in its own right, as everyone I know with this name have it on its own. However I feel it's too plain and boring, and the fact that everyone seems to have it is annoying as well. It wouldn't be as bad if I had a middle name or two, but alas it seems as though when my parents got to me they couldn't be bothered anymore and stuck me woth one of the most common girls names and didn't give me a middle name (my older sister had both a long form name we shorten down to a nickname, and a middle, both of which I am extremely jealous of).
    For me, I feel names are an important first impression, and I don't think people will see me as impressive or memorable with my boring name. I also think my name is quite childish, and I would like the option of having a more elegant, long name to use in my professional life and when I've outgrown my current name.
    When I say I want to change my name, I don't mean to something completely unrelated, just to a long version of my current name, and keep using my name as a nickname. However, I don't know how my parents will react. I have suggested adding a middle name myself to my dad before and he was completely against the idea, as was my sister, but I'm not sure if that was to do with me changing my birth name or if it was to do with the fact that I wanted to change it to my great grandma's name on my mums side who died while my mum was pregnant with me, so I felt a close tie to her names, and my parents were in the middle of a messy divorce.
    Ironically, my mum wanted to give me either my greatgrandma's first or middle name, both of which were long, beautiful traditional names, but my dad said they were too 'old-fashioned' (even though the old-fashioned names are the most beautiful) and that they didn't want to name me after someone (even though if I was a boy Iw ould have been named ben which was my graetgrandad's name).
    I don't want to fall out with my parents over this, but it is something I have felt strongly about for a long time, and something I have expressing many times to my parents. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?
    (I can give you my name and my options for a longer name change if it would help your opinions any) thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It's one of those things that is really difficult. On the one hand, you don't want to upset your parents and reject the choices they made for you at birth, but, on the other hand, it is your life, and if you are unhappy than something has to change.

Firstly, I would just say be absolutely sure that you have made the right choice. Changing your name is a big thing and it will affect your everyday life. Your reasons sound good and the fact that you're not making drastic changes probably makes this slightly less relevent, but even so, be sure you are making the right decision, not only for now, but for the future as well.

If you decide that you definitely want to change your name and have no doubts then I would say go ahead and do it. The only obstacle you might face is, if you're under 18 or 16, I don't know which one it is, you might have to get your parents' permission. If they don't want to let you, you can either wait until you are of an age to do it yourself or try to convince them to let you change it. Be polite and give them fair, well-thought out reasons. It might take some time, but hopefully if you're serious than you can get it changed.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LamantChenille)
    It's one of those things that is really difficult. On the one hand, you don't want to upset your parents and reject the choices they made for you at birth, but, on the other hand, it is your life, and if you are unhappy than something has to change.

Firstly, I would just say be absolutely sure that you have made the right choice. Changing your name is a big thing and it will affect your everyday life. Your reasons sound good and the fact that you're not making drastic changes probably makes this slightly less relevent, but even so, be sure you are making the right decision, not only for now, but for the future as well.

If you decide that you definitely want to change your name and have no doubts then I would say go ahead and do it. The only obstacle you might face is, if you're under 18 or 16, I don't know which one it is, you might have to get your parents' permission. If they don't want to let you, you can either wait until you are of an age to do it yourself or try to convince them to let you change it. Be polite and give them fair, well-thought out reasons. It might take some time, but hopefully if you're serious than you can get it changed.

Good luck
    Thankyou! I'm 16 so I will have to look into what age it is you don't need your parents' permission. I am willing to wait until I'm 18 if they won't give me permission.
    I'll try to get my reasons in line and present them to my parents as well thought out so they can see I'm serious.
    Thanks for your help

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.