So whats Heriot-Watt Edinburgh like? Watch

Unihopper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I recently accepted my offer for accountancy at Heriot-Watt but having never attended any open days at HW I would appreciate if any current students/graduates of Heriot-Watt could shed some light about their day to day life at HW. I.e, how are the halls there, whats the ratio like, info on nightlife would be useful (but not important really), job prospects after graduating etc...

Thanks in advance!
Heriot-Watt University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Unihopper)
Hi,

I recently accepted my offer for accountancy at Heriot-Watt but having never attended any open days at HW I would appreciate if any current students/graduates of Heriot-Watt could shed some light about their day to day life at HW. I.e, how are the halls there, whats the ratio like, info on nightlife would be useful (but not important really), job prospects after graduating etc...

Thanks in advance!
Hello,

My names Conor, I just graduated from Heriot-Watt with a degree in international business management and am currently working in the marketing office.

The halls in in the university vary quite a lot depending on where you stay. Christina Miller are by far the nicest if you can afford them, they were built quite recently and so have very modern utilities and are set in one of the nicest areas on campus. I personally stayed in George Burnett, which you might classify as 'standard uni accommodation'. It was relatively affordable and had everything you need including en suite bathroom etc. Most halls are roughly the same standard and wouldn't be any better or worse from other university halls.
The ratio is 58:42 I believe, according to the NUS.
In terms of nightlife there is a diverse range of activities in Edinburgh. I have lived in a few different cities and done some travelling and I would maintain that Edinburgh is one of the nicest cities you will ever visit. There is a massive range of bars and dozens of night clubs, depending on what you enjoy, used by the students of the different universities in the city.
In terms of job prospects I would refer you to the Accountancy and Finance programme on the Heriot-Watt website. The programme was also ranked 3rd in the UK in the recent Guardian 2017 University Rankings! I have some friends in the department all of whom are now moving on to prestigious internships and jobs with companies like Ernst & Young.
The open days basically give you a feel for the campus (the virtual tours on the website can in part provide this). One of my reasons for coming to Heriot-Watt was the campus aspect as it has everything you need (classes, gym, canteen, union, shop) in close proximity. It's away from the distractions of the city, but Edinburgh is easily accessible by the famously punctual bus service.
Ultimately the experience is what you make of it, but I have enjoyed my time here, participated in the GoGlobal programme (which I highly recommend and is one the biggest benefits that Heriot-Watt offers) and come out the other end with a good degree which has facilitated my future academic prospects. Other student experiences can be seen in our new vlogs on the Heriot-Watt YouTube channel.

Hope this helps and let me know if there are any other questions!
Conor
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Edinburgh Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 8 Nov '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (86)
17.81%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (311)
64.39%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.76%
Not yet but I might (63)
13.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise