Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been offered a unconditional offer for a MA, can you please tell me when the portal for postgraduate loans will open? when is it likely to be paid as i start in mid sep? and is the criteria likely to change?

Regards

James
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by jamesleicester)
    Hi,

I have been offered a unconditional offer for a MA, can you please tell me when the portal for postgraduate loans will open? when is it likely to be paid as i start in mid sep? and is the criteria likely to change?

Regards

James
    Hey James,

I've just moved your thread from Advice on Everyday Issues to our Postgraduate Applications forum in the hope you have a better chance of a reply here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesleicester)
    Hi,

I have been offered a unconditional offer for a MA, can you please tell me when the portal for postgraduate loans will open?
    There's no precise date available yet. Official sources just say "late June".

when is it likely to be paid as i start in mid sep?
    I don't think anybody knows. This is the first year they have been offered, so there's nothing from previous years that we could go by. There are too many variables to make a prediction e.g. how many people apply, whether SF have enough staff to deal with the volume of applications, the proportion of applicants who don't have straightforward applications (have to prove UK residency etc).

Many Masters students will be in your shoes, so unis will be geared up to cope with delays in tuition fee payments if SF fall behind. However if you're planning to rely on the loan to pay living expenses like rent, I'd be looking to build up savings so you san support yourself for a while. Just in case the loan is delayed.

and is the criteria likely to change?
    Again, there's no way of knowing for sure. I'd say it was unlikely between now and June, but it may change for 2017 starters, depending on how this year goes.

ReputationRep:
    The uni I've been accepted to advised it is a very vague application opening date of 'end of June' with an approximate 5 week turn around for processing applications. I hope it doesn't change as my course starts in August and I need to pay a £1000 deposit to secure my place (which my bank account would appreciate being replaced quickly lol).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.