Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My poetry exam is friday (edexcel) an i have no idea what im doing or how I should prepare.. im so busy with maths I have ignored poetry, someone please help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anthology? one question will give you the chance to write about a poem of your choice compared to another poem.
    My suggestion would be to check over all of the poems to find an underlying theme amongst them all. As hard as this may be, it will be useful as you will be looking into the poems, looking for a lot more meaning which will also give you a better understanding, ready for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    identify themes and different interpretations of the poems, as well as rhetorical devices etc all that bs
    i got an A in english and im genuinely stupid af so you'll be calm my bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdaniels2011)
    anthology? one question will give you the chance to write about a poem of your choice compared to another poem.
    My suggestion would be to check over all of the poems to find an underlying theme amongst them all. As hard as this may be, it will be useful as you will be looking into the poems, looking for a lot more meaning which will also give you a better understanding, ready for the exam.
    thanks, do you know how i should compare to poems? do I do point like the theme or whatever, a para on explaining in one poem then explain in the next para about how the second poem displays it too??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ksj.11)
    My poetry exam is friday (edexcel) an i have no idea what im doing or how I should prepare.. im so busy with maths I have ignored poetry, someone please help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    With english you don't really revise, you just know.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, do you know how i should compare to poems? do I do point like the theme or whatever, a para on explaining in one poem then explain in the next para about how the second poem displays it too??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, not just similarities but differences, too

ReputationRep:
    Like say for example, Sonnet 116 and My Last Duchess have different views on love - if love comes up, you'd want to explain that there are two different sides to love and support it with evidence (a quote from each poem) and getting to the poet's message, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdaniels2011)
    Like say for example, Sonnet 116 and My Last Duchess have different views on love - if love comes up, you'd want to explain that there are two different sides to love and support it with evidence (a quote from each poem) and getting to the poet's message, etc
    So like youd do one paragraph saying how they both present love like similarities then youd do another para on how theyre different?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So like youd do one paragraph saying how they both present love like similarities then youd do another para on how theyre different?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not necessarily a paragraph, one or two sentences to explain what you mean will do.
    It will structure a paragraph when you follow what your teacher tells you to do.

Point
    Evidence (poem 1)
    Evidence (poem 2)
    What's similar about the 2 (comparing a word in the chosen quotes) IF THERE ARE ANY
    What's different about the 2 (comparing a word in the chosen quotes) IF THERE ARE ANY
    Alternative meanings to both quotes*(A/A*)
    What the poet may be trying to say - message (Poem 1)
    What the poet may be trying to say - message (Poem 2)
    Effect on the reader of the poet or feelings you get from it and why

ReputationRep:
    If you've got good notes already, condense them for each poem, maybe into two or three bullet points and read over them. Make sure you choose points you can elaborate on in the exam. e.g. maritime metaphors in sonnet 116 as a bullet point

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.