Taking further maths late Watch

itsElliott
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Right now I am doing 4 A levels - I am in my first year of sixth form - Maths (C1, C2, M1), Physics, Chemistry and Economics. Without a doubt I am dropping Economics next year, however my chemistry is terrible and I am never going to get a good enough grade in it. So I asked my teacher if I could drop those two subjects and pick up A2 Further Maths (Edexcel) for my final year. I'll have the spare time of dropping two lessons plus frees. I enjoy maths and doing past papers aswell as find it interesting. However my teacher said that doing 9 exams next year would be too much stress for me (3 done this year and then 9 more to make the 12 modules),however he did say I could potentially just take the AS without dropping any other subjects.

What I want to do over my holiday and in spare time is try and teach myself FP1 and possibly even D1. I have a programming background and think i'd find most of the concepts in D1 easier than other people. I also want to tackle FP1 as I have begun to come across topics from it in programming; matrices for example. So when I get back to school I can try and persuade them to let me take the A2 course.

So, is there any online resources to self teach these modules, i'll probably order or ask to borrow a text book from school, is there anything else I should be looking for.
#sarahsmith2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by itsElliott)
Right now I am doing 4 A levels - I am in my first year of sixth form - Maths (C1, C2, M1), Physics, Chemistry and Economics. Without a doubt I am dropping Economics next year, however my chemistry is terrible and I am never going to get a good enough grade in it. So I asked my teacher if I could drop those two subjects and pick up A2 Further Maths (Edexcel) for my final year. I'll have the spare time of dropping two lessons plus frees. I enjoy maths and doing past papers aswell as find it interesting. However my teacher said that doing 9 exams next year would be too much stress for me (3 done this year and then 9 more to make the 12 modules),however he did say I could potentially just take the AS without dropping any other subjects.

What I want to do over my holiday and in spare time is try and teach myself FP1 and possibly even D1. I have a programming background and think i'd find most of the concepts in D1 easier than other people. I also want to tackle FP1 as I have begun to come across topics from it in programming; matrices for example. So when I get back to school I can try and persuade them to let me take the A2 course.

So, is there any online resources to self teach these modules, i'll probably order or ask to borrow a text book from school, is there anything else I should be looking for.
I taught myself D1 and FP1 this year as I was taking further maths as an extra subject The textbooks are pretty good - they go through everything pretty well - you can get worksheets online and tutorial videos if you just look for the topic on google or youtube. If your school can get you a log in to integral maths, that was pretty useful as they have explanation sheets, worksheets and little tests for each topic. That should be pretty sufficient for self teaching D1/FP1 - just make sure you do loads of past papers which are also obviously available online - feel free to ask/DM me if you have any more questions about self teaching these modules
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (157)
13.25%
Excited (106)
8.95%
Worried (217)
18.31%
Terrified (276)
23.29%
Meh (94)
7.93%
Confused (32)
2.7%