Please give me advice on how to be healthier! Watch

saladays
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
First of all, my "goal" is not to lose weight specifically, just to be healthier. I know there is definitely room for improvement - I'll be the first to say I get nowhere near enough exercise and my diet could be much better.

I'm female, 15 and 5'7" (and a few cm...?) I'm 9.5 stone (60.3 kg, 133 lbs). I'd say I'm fairly muscly but not toned or whatever. I have irritatingly long legs and they're probably the muscliedt part of my body since they get the most use.

My exercise is shameful; during the week I do very, very little - probably the most exercise is my 15-minute walk up a sloping street to the bus stop, and 20-minute walk through town home. Very occasionally, when the weather is nice, I'll go for a thirty minute/ hour long walk in the local forest. I have been wanting to do these walks every day after school but since exams have started I have been rushing home to get revision in. Very occasionally I'll do some sit ups, squats etc in my room for an hour on the weekend but they're always pitiful attempts that don't go anywhere. Often on the weekend one day is dedicated to a hike, anywhere from one to four hours, and that's the bulk of my exercise.

In terms of diet, first of all, I'm a vegetarian so no meat/fish. On the week days, I have rice Krispies and semi-skimmed milk for breakfast with a glass of apple juice and a vitamin tablet. I have this fruit roll thing between lessons (it's called Bear Yo-Yos or something, it's just baked strawberries and apples in strips) and a jazz apple at break. For lunch I either have a cheese sandwich or a salad sandwich (margarine) and a box of apple juice. When I get home I have an alpro soya chocolate milk with some kind of packet of S&V crisps (oddities usually).

The portions I have for tea tend to be quiet large; I have told my dad time and time again (honestly I'd cook the tea if I was any good at it but he's insistent he'll do it) that he needs to cut down on the portions but no cigar (he has a huuuuge appetite) so it's often a big plate piled with food and I usually have to leave some.

It's often some kind if quorn (eg sausages or burger) with vegetables, sometimes lasagne/pasta, every Wesnesday chips, peas and quorn, roast potatoes on Sunday's, vegetable rice on Fridays - typically. Always vegetables with some kind of quorn usually. And a glass of apple juice. And usually a chocolate bar (eg a Wispa) after tea.

On the weekends I often have up to three fizzy drinks (always no sugar or cola routes but still!) and crisps in the evening.

Please give me advice! I'd go to the gym if I could but unfortunately I'm 15 which means if my parents say I can't go, I can't (and they said I can't!), and also I can't go walking or running on my own so I have to rely on them to go with me.

Tips for exercises at home or ways to motivate my family to join me with this healthy lifestyle? I'm serious about it. I think summer is a great place to start, once my exams finish.

Thank you! (Gosh I wrote loads - sorry.)
idontknowmedoyou
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I lost around 10 pounds when I went vegan and other people have lost wayyy more so maybe that would help you lose weight? Also make sure to exercise everyday for at least 30-60mins and walk as often as possible. Also drink a lottttttt of water
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
http://www.tgogc.com
Hike to your nearest one
uniqsummer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Start simple. Youtube a couple of fitness videos from the likes of GymRa, PopSugar and aim to do one of them every day even if its for 10 minutes and work your way up to longer more intense stuff. You wont need alot of space, and you can basically do them anywhere, and they can start to condition your body and mindset.

Your diet doesn't sound extreme, and actually fairly tame so I wouldn't necessarily worry about that too much for now. (unless their is hidden snacking your not noticing)
shawtyb
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
I lost around 10 pounds when I went vegan and other people have lost wayyy more so maybe that would help you lose weight? Also make sure to exercise everyday for at least 30-60mins and walk as often as possible. Also drink a lottttttt of water
its because began food is boring
idontknowmedoyou
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shawtyb)
its because began food is boring
you've probably never been vegan so you can't really give an opinion? But I actually eat everything I used to eat just without animal products, I eat pasta, lasagne, spaghetti bolognese, pizza and tons of other foods just made vegan?
shawtyb
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by idontknowmedoyou)
you've probably never been vegan so you can't really give an opinion? But I actually eat everything I used to eat just without animal products, I eat pasta, lasagne, spaghetti bolognese, pizza and tons of other foods just made vegan?
wouldnt it taste incredibly bland?
the effort into finding out whats vegan and whats not alone would stop me
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
one word: Quorn
Angry cucumber
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This thread is awful thus far

You're not overweight and you do no exercise as of currently. If you want motivation, look at mirror or set yourself a goal and go achieve your target. Do the Couch 2 5k programme, it builds you up nicely and set yourself you to run a 5k after so many weeks. Do that to start with

Your diet is largely ok, just enforce some will power and don't buy the fizzy drink/ chocolate bar or don't open the cupboard. Drink some water, eat some fruit or eat more for tea time. You don't need to lose any weight for that matter either
Lychee628
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well i'd advise you to walk at least 10000 steps a day? :P I try doing that much on a daily basis tbh hah
samlade
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of exercise, find something that you enjoy doing and you will do more of it. Exercise should not be a slog. If you can't find one thing that you really enjoy try and mix it up.
idontknowmedoyou
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on the food some foods I have found for example vegan pizza tastes much better with more flavour than 'regular' pizzas, there's very few vegan foods that I dislike because I think they taste better and make me feel healthier. It's not difficult to be vegan either there's many options available now. It's helped me in so many ways so I just thought I would recommend it
Ed Phelan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's all about habit and changing it. You need to make exercise an integral part of your daily life, as well as find something which you can enjoy doing and which won't burn you out after the first few weeks. The same goes for what you eat too, change your eating habits and you'll notice a difference.

As for vegan food, I don't that's the way to go personally. You can eat healthy without resorting to veganism, even though I'll admit I enjoy a good vegan sausage sandwich from time to time.
Dilsz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Green tea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (300)
31.06%
The paper was reasonable (389)
40.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (156)
16.15%
It was TERRIBLE (121)
12.53%

Watched Threads