Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing a UK Master's degree and want to go to the US for Ph.D program Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I have this problem and would really need your help!

I am about to do a MSc starting this Oct, and it will end somewhere around mid Sept next year ( Sept 2017).

I want to do a Ph.D right after this (starting in 2017). I realized that most Universities in the State start around late August or early September. Therefore there will be a clash here. Has anyone had this problem before? Would I be able to join my PhD (if I get one) in this case since I will not be able to graduate beforehand.

In addition, I understand that people doing Msc usually don't have lectures and they will be working on their thesis in the summer which is not required to be on campus.

Please disregard any other factors such as GRE, IELTS and References, just focus on the time here because I have already sort those out and I would REALLY REALLY REALLY hate to wait year.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I'm sure US unis will have dealt with this before so it shouldn't be a problem. Just inform them. Make sure you check with your MSc uni about whether or not you're expected to be on campus. Here our MSc students submit their dissertation at the beginning of August and then are free to go.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for you input. It got me worried.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.