Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Just wondering. Is it impossible to get into an Engineering course at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial without an A* in GCE A-Level Mathematics?

I've seen the entry requirements but has anyone actually gotten into the courses with only an A in said subject? I'm aware that a lot of universities roll out offers subject to obtaining at least one grade less from the standard entry requirements.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAS98)
    Hi. Just wondering. Is it impossible to get into an Engineering course at Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial without an A* in GCE A-Level Mathematics?

I've seen the entry requirements but has anyone actually gotten into the courses with only an A in said subject? I'm aware that a lot of universities roll out offers subject to obtaining at least one grade less from the standard entry requirements.

Thanks in advance.
    If thats what they ask for then thats what they will accept, any lower is a no, those 3 unis have lots of applicants who will get A*A*A or more so can be very picky, especially as maths is probably the most important A-level for engineering

Lots of unis accept lower grades than their offer for certain subjects but none of those are top 3 universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    If thats what they ask for then thats what they will accept, any lower is a no, those 3 unis have lots of applicants who will get A*A*A or more so can be very picky, especially as maths is probably the most important A-level for engineering

Lots of unis accept lower grades than their offer for certain subjects but none of those are top 3 universities
    Ah thank you!!
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MAS98)

Thanks in advance.
    Nope. The A* in maths is a pretty solid requirement. And most will have A* in FM too.

You *might* get away with missing the A* Physics requirement. But it's not that likely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.