Turn on thread page Beta

How was the S3 for you? watch

• View Poll Results: How was the S3 for you?
    very hard
    3.81%
    hard
    9.52%
    ok
    40.00%
    easy
    31.43%
    very easy
    15.24%

ReputationRep:
    How did you find this year's S3?
    EDEXCEL only

This is last year's poll on S3
    Name:  S3 POLL.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  17.4 KB
    these were the actual boundaries of last year's exam
    73 full UMS
    66 ---> 90 UMS
    59 ---> 80 UMS (A)
    52 ---> 70 UMS (B)
    45 ---> 60 UMS (C)

ReputationRep:
    so much easier than the 2015 paper! *breaths sigh of relief*

I reckon 65 for an A

ReputationRep:
    It was actually a really nice paper

ReputationRep:
    Hoping for 68 or 69 for A*. Wasn't the easiest but better than 2015.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone do unofficial mark schemes (apparently arsey doesn't) and does anyone know what time they will be up?

ReputationRep:
    I found it okay but think boundaries will be low. 68 for A* and 62 for A imo.

ReputationRep:
    I lost 8 marks by doing the wrong distribution other than that I think I got basically everything right

So pissed off at myself for ruining my A* chance with such a stupid mistake

ReputationRep:
    there, i finished s3
    NEVER AGAIN

ReputationRep:
    Really standard paper, no questions were very unusual. Might mean there are high grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    IAL was tricky-ish.

Conditional probability bit applied to combination of random variables and some biased estimator expectation algebra. Also included finding critical regions for a normal distribution. Chi squared tests had ugly numbers.

Hoping to get 70+/75. Boundaries could be a little lower (I doubt it though) since the paper included some newish stuff not seen in past papers and had 8 questions.

Who would have thought that M3 would have been easier than S3? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    How did you find this year's S3?
    EDEXCEL only

This is last year's poll on S3
    Name:  S3 POLL.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  17.4 KB
    these were the actual boundaries of last year's exam
    73 full UMS
    66 ---> 90 UMS
    59 ---> 80 UMS (A)
    52 ---> 70 UMS (B)
    45 ---> 60 UMS (C)
    Have you got the data for the boundaries from a previous year where the majority of people found it an "ok" paper?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy123456)
    Have you got the data for the boundaries from a previous year where the majority of people found it an "ok" paper?
    Thank you!
    I only did it last year and this is only the second year which I am trying to collect information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I only did it last year and this is only the second year which I am trying to collect information
    Ahh no worries, thanks for starting this thread though

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the IAL was harder than the UK paper. We had conditional probability, some trippy dice crap, 8 questions and no confidence intervals which are usually free marks.

ReputationRep:
    Not enough time. I don't understand how can someone finish in an hour I probably write too much in hypothesis testing questions.(?)
    Last year I made a mistake in one of the last questions in S2 (very COSTLY mistake), this year again a mistake in one of the last questions in S3 - and it looks like it's going to cost me a lot of marks...again. Not a happy bunny right now.

ReputationRep:
    Fairly standard paper - though I agree with others that it was surprisingly lengthy timewise... might just be me taking more care in the exam situation.

ReputationRep:
    I finished with 5 minutes to spare but only because i nearly messed up the Poisson part. I thought the mean was 25/3 but then i got the mean as 1.8.

ReputationRep:
    did the ial paper and i must say it wasnt what i expected :-p
    I was really confident since i finished all my pastpaper questions and got 70+, losing marks only to addition/subtraction or kiddy things like writing > as < etc
    but this paper was on another level and i think i messed up the 8th question sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N92991)
    did the ial paper and i must say it wasnt what i expected :-p
    I was really confident since i finished all my pastpaper questions and got 70+, losing marks only to addition/subtraction or kiddy things like writing > as < etc
    but this paper was on another level and i think i messed up the 8th question sadly.
    What are you predicting boundaries to be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    What ae you predicting boundaries to be?
    This paper was a bit harder than fp2 June 2015 so maybe 65/66 for A and 70 for A*

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 25, 2016

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.