Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it got to do with the base pairing?

ReputationRep:
    The nucleotides are arranged in a 3* and 5* formation so the DNA polymerase acts in opposite directions in order for the enzyme to be complimentary to the nucleotide shape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilmaWizard)
    The nucleotides are arranged in a 3* and 5* formation so the DNA polymerase acts in opposite directions in order for the enzyme to be complimentary to the nucleotide shape.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    try drawing out the dna structure... i am not sure about the above answer but this is for definite-
    the dna strands must run in opposite directions to allow complementary base pairing between bases facing inwards

lol does that even make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilmaWizard)
    No problem
    hi, I'm not sure myself... but surely the enzyme acting in opposite directions is a RESULT of the dna strands being antiparallel, not the cause?

in my view they are antiparallel because the shape of the nucleotides is fixed, so the only arrangement in which the bases can be faced inwards to form complementary base pairing and H bonds etc is when one of the strands is running in an opposite direction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemmi)
    Is it got to do with the base pairing?
    (Original post by Lola1244)
    hi, I'm not sure myself... but surely the enzyme acting in opposite directions is a RESULT of the dna strands being antiparallel, not the cause?

in my view they are antiparallel because the shape of the nucleotides is fixed, so the only arrangement in which the bases can be faced inwards to form complementary base pairing and H bonds etc is when one of the strands is running in an opposite direction
    They are antiparallel to allow the formation of weak hydrogen bonds between complimentary base pairs. So one strand runs from 3' to 5 and the other strand runs from 5' to 3'. So that a pyrimidine base such as Thymine forms 2 hydrogen bonds with a purine base - Adenine and another purine base such as Guanine forms 3 hydrogen bonds with a pyrimidine base - Cytosine. So that there is always 3 ring structures between phosphate backbone.

This occurs in DNA replication or Transcription (Thymine gets replaced by uracil here).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRosesBloom)
    They are antiparallel to allow the formation of weak hydrogen bonds between complimentary base pairs. So one strand runs from 3' to 5 and the other strand runs from 5' to 3'. So that a pyrimidine base such as Thymine forms 2 hydrogen bonds with a purine base - Adenine and another purine base such as Guanine forms 3 hydrogen bonds with a pyrimidine base - Cytosine. So that there is always 3 ring structures between phosphate backbone.

This occurs in DNA replication or Transcription (Thymine gets replaced by uracil here).
    thanks for clearing it up :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.