?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Is it got to do with the base pairing?
WilmaWizard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The nucleotides are arranged in a 3* and 5* formation so the DNA polymerase acts in opposite directions in order for the enzyme to be complimentary to the nucleotide shape.
Chemmi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by WilmaWizard)
The nucleotides are arranged in a 3* and 5* formation so the DNA polymerase acts in opposite directions in order for the enzyme to be complimentary to the nucleotide shape.
Thanks
WilmaWizard
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No problem
Lola1244
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
try drawing out the dna structure... i am not sure about the above answer but this is for definite-
the dna strands must run in opposite directions to allow complementary base pairing between bases facing inwards

lol does that even make sense?
Lola1244
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by WilmaWizard)
No problem
hi, I'm not sure myself... but surely the enzyme acting in opposite directions is a RESULT of the dna strands being antiparallel, not the cause?

in my view they are antiparallel because the shape of the nucleotides is fixed, so the only arrangement in which the bases can be faced inwards to form complementary base pairing and H bonds etc is when one of the strands is running in an opposite direction
RedRosesBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Chemmi)
Is it got to do with the base pairing?
(Original post by Lola1244)
hi, I'm not sure myself... but surely the enzyme acting in opposite directions is a RESULT of the dna strands being antiparallel, not the cause?

in my view they are antiparallel because the shape of the nucleotides is fixed, so the only arrangement in which the bases can be faced inwards to form complementary base pairing and H bonds etc is when one of the strands is running in an opposite direction
They are antiparallel to allow the formation of weak hydrogen bonds between complimentary base pairs. So one strand runs from 3' to 5 and the other strand runs from 5' to 3'. So that a pyrimidine base such as Thymine forms 2 hydrogen bonds with a purine base - Adenine and another purine base such as Guanine forms 3 hydrogen bonds with a pyrimidine base - Cytosine. So that there is always 3 ring structures between phosphate backbone.

This occurs in DNA replication or Transcription (Thymine gets replaced by uracil here).
Lola1244
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RedRosesBloom)
They are antiparallel to allow the formation of weak hydrogen bonds between complimentary base pairs. So one strand runs from 3' to 5 and the other strand runs from 5' to 3'. So that a pyrimidine base such as Thymine forms 2 hydrogen bonds with a purine base - Adenine and another purine base such as Guanine forms 3 hydrogen bonds with a pyrimidine base - Cytosine. So that there is always 3 ring structures between phosphate backbone.

This occurs in DNA replication or Transcription (Thymine gets replaced by uracil here).
thanks for clearing it up :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Keele University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Aug '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.28%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.52%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.84%
Not yet but I might (58)
13.36%

Watched Threads