Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! My name is Maria, I live in France and I'm in 9th grade. I applied for an International Anglo-American Section in High school and I'm waiting for the results. I applied there because I would love to study medicine in UK and this section is an opportunity for me.

I'd like to become a gynecologist but I don't know how many years of study I must complete before becoming a gynecologist... And secondly, I don't know what exactly is an "A-level", can anyone explain me or give me an equivalent to this exam?

You may wonder why I ask the question when I'm still in 9th grade but knowing the competitivity in british medical schools, I know I will have to work hard

ReputationRep:
    An A-level is a further education qualification that people do after they have finished secondary school. They are usually done in 2 years and the grades you get determine whether you are eligible for entry onto degree courses at university. Most people do them between the ages of 16-18.

To become a gynaecologist you need a medical degree, which is usually 5 years, then 2 years as a foundation doctor, then speciality training which is 7 years for obs and gynae if I remember correctly, so 14 years in total as a minimum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDH)
    Hello everyone! My name is Maria, I live in France and I'm in 9th grade. I applied for an International Anglo-American Section in High school and I'm waiting for the results. I applied there because I would love to study medicine in UK and this section is an opportunity for me.

I'd like to become a gynecologist but I don't know how many years of study I must complete before becoming a gynecologist... And secondly, I don't know what exactly is an "A-level", can anyone explain me or give me an equivalent to this exam?

You may wonder why I ask the question when I'm still in 9th grade but knowing the competitivity in british medical schools, I know I will have to work hard
    Hi Maria! What qualifications are you eventually working towards at school? You can come to medical school in the UK with the IB, the French bac, and I'm sure it's also possible with American qualifications too. When it comes to it, you may have to contact individual medical schools for their specific entry requirements in your qualifications, but that's way down the line as yet.

As the above poster just said, it's a total of 14 years to become a consultant gynaecologist, including medical school. This is the fastest possible route, it will likely be a bit longer if you ever do something like an intercalated degree at med school, or take time out for research, or ever go part-time. If you want more info on careers in obstetrics and gynaecology check out this page: https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/careers-t...-career-in-og/

ReputationRep:
    Tank you for your answers, that was very useful for me!
    And I work towards an International Baccalaureate (if I'm admitted). Actually it's different from the French bac because it's recognized in France and abroad and there are various subjects pertaining to English... Therefore the IB testified of great skills in English-language, history and literature. Basically the IB must be the easiest way for French students to study in an English-speaking country.

Secondly, I have to choose optional subject for next year so I applied for options which are a mix between biology, chemistry... But currently, I study the required classes in biology and chemistry because I cannot take more classes.

Medicine studies require strong motivation but I'm sure it's not impossible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.