The Student Room Group

Arsey's solutions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chumps52
Well what can they do if Arsey did decide to continue posting? [IGNORE: It's hardly illegal] just seen the copyright thing in the OP, there's no way they can stop people posting/discussing the questions and answers.
Part of me thinks it may well just be one "off" employee of Pearson, especially seeing as no one contacted TSR, and only Arsey. Is there any proof that it even was Edexcel/Pearson who contacted Arsey in the first place?

This comment deserves more recognition
Reply 121
Physics and maths tutor posts the papers and mark schemes for the latest exam series before they are released on the edexcel website on his google drive and adds a password. Couldn't you do a similar thing where you have a password on the file and delete them after a week or so?
I've been contacted by Edexcel via TSR in the past and it was a genuine contact. I had told Arsey before that he shouldn't upload actual papers as it is a breach of copyright. Regarding not sharing answers online after the exam - well that simply can't be stopped. If Edexcel are worried about students using TSR to cheat on mocks then we could delete the summer exam threads after a period of time.
Original post by dj3k
Physics and maths tutor posts the papers and mark schemes for the latest exam series before they are released on the edexcel website on his google drive and adds a password. Couldn't you do a similar thing where you have a password on the file and delete them after a week or so?

This is pretty dodgy behaviour - it isn't his property to upload.
would you be willing to email out the worked solutions or even just the answers to the questions for future exams?
Just an idea as edexcel would not have public solutions and we would get to see where we slipped up- or didn't.
Awww, Arsey... I did my A2s last year, and the first thing I would do after my maths exams would be to get on the forums to find out what you guys thought and to put my mind at ease, my whole class would rush up to our maths room to get it up on the big screen.

I can't imagine the time you put into doing those things, so I'd just like to say a massive thanks, tbh, your solutions and that were some of the best revision aides I ever had... Thanks Arsey, and all the best.
All I need is the paper to check some of the answers myself.

To be honest, Edexcel mark schemes are sometimes useless and have really bad mathematics in them. The exam paper writer and mark scheme producers does not have strong mathematics backgrounds at all.
Original post by casperyc
To be honest, Edexcel mark schemes are sometimes useless and have really bad mathematics in them. The exam paper writer and mark scheme producers does not have strong mathematics backgrounds at all.

This simply isn't true.
Original post by Mr M
This simply isn't true.

Just an example:

https://community.tes.com/threads/i-do-not-like-this-new-gcse-9-1-question.733177/

https://community.tes.com/threads/overthinking.735216/

Just a couple thoughts and examples of what I feel about this exam board.
But I am originally from Shanghai and we use the mastery approach. So we have solid maths tests.
Just an example:

https://community.tes.com/threads/i-do-not-like-this-new-gcse-9-1-question.733177/

https://community.tes.com/threads/overthinking.735216/

Just a couple thoughts and examples of what I feel about this exam board.
But I am originally from Shanghai and we use the mastery approach. So we have solid maths tests.

Specimen materials are not "proper" exams.
Original post by Mr M
Specimen materials are not "proper" exams.

Sure. But like I said, just some examples. :smile:

I can see the UK is trying hard to do mastery, but the secondary "maths" is still not very "solid" or "mathematical".

I feel that sometimes exam boards give too many marks to students, allowing "bad" maths. That's not very helpful in a supportive way how maths should be taught.

Maths is a logic subject with solid arguments. In that Pythagoras question I posted, I strongly felt that in the UK, geometry proof was not done at all or done very poorly across the nation. The starting point of that question should really be to prove the big shape is a square.
Original post by Mr M
I've been contacted by Edexcel via TSR in the past and it was a genuine contact. I had told Arsey before that he shouldn't upload actual papers as it is a breach of copyright. Regarding not sharing answers online after the exam - well that simply can't be stopped. If Edexcel are worried about students using TSR to cheat on mocks then we could delete the summer exam threads after a period of time.

Our department uses old KS3 SAT maths papers and recently students had a test. We noticed that nearly 15% of student had already done them as practice papers.

And some parents find/print for them. I believe we now live in a world we simply cannnot control these things.

Edexcel should really do some model solutions, formal written good mathematical solutions to help students' learning, even if they are simply copying.
We certainly had students COPYING "model" answers from other sources based on actual papers from exam boards.

Just some thoughts.
Whaaat?
It's the end of an era!
The frantic refresh to see if Arsey has posted is over.
Pointless move from Edexcel IMO.
Thanks Arsey for all the solutions over the years.
All I need is the paper to check some of the answers myself.

Totally spurious claim.
Where is your evidence for this?
Original post by T17MA
Has anyone got the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have u found the paper? If so could u please send it to me.
So you'd rather appease the exam boards than help thousands of students?

This is sad...
Reply 136
Original post by anonwinner

This is sad...

this what a responsible adult does
Original post by anonwinner

I don't suppose he wants to put his career at risk. Would you?
Thanks a lot for them anyway

The mark schemes you posted especially helped me last year in one of my exams, where a 6 mark question was mistakenly not marked.
It was only bc of your solutions that i was confident i scored higher than what i received on my results sheets. Got it remarked and went up to 100!

Wouldn't have happened without you.
Reply 139
R.I.P.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending