Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (16+9sin2x)/(5-3cosx)

This was the equation we were given, told to put it into form p+qcosx which I got 5+3cosx.
    Then it said to give the smallest angle in radeons, which isn't possible beacuse cos doesn't go to -5/3. Was this an impossible question or am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James73)
    (16+9sin2x)/(5-3cosx)

This was the equation we were given, told to put it into form p+qcosx which I got 5+3cosx.
    Then it said to give the smallest angle in radeons, which isn't possible beacuse cos doesn't go to -5/3. Was this an impossible question or am I missing something?
    The minimum value for cos(x) is -1, because any value lower than that is impossible (and it asked for the lowest value).

So what you're trying to do is get cos(x) to equal -1. What you did is made the equation equal to zero.

So, if we say a = 5 + 3cos(x), we know (a-5)/3 must equal -1. You should have got a as 2. So 2 = 5 + 3cos(x) leading to cos(x) = -1 and therefore x = pi.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.