Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

Yesterday I was driving down a slow road and had a minor hit on a car.
    My car took no damage, but the other car did, and it will be needing some repairs.I was driving around 5 miles.(there was no injury to any persons, just damage to the body of the other persons car).

We exchanged details, and the person told me that they will call me back after getting a quote for a repair from a repair centre.

Do I need to do anything? I am not very experienced, so not sure if I should be doing anything, and starting to panic a bit.

Will this affect my insurance or have a bad impact on my driving history (this is my first few weeks of having insurance).

Thanks, really need your help

it will affect your insurance if you make a claim or you can just pay the person upfront

ReputationRep:
    So if he makes a claim (don't know if that would be against me or not ) would that affect my insurance and is there any paperwork ?

Greatly appreciate it

(Original post by Sam977)
    So if he makes a claim (don't know if that would be against me or not ) would that affect my insurance and is there any paperwork ?

Greatly appreciate it
    If they make a claim on your insurance, (likely) then you will lose your No claims bonus and your insurance will rocket up. Or you could pay for their repairs upfront if it's cheap. (unlikely)

there will be paperwork, if they make a claim against you, you need to send it to your insurer
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    It works like this - You have an accident. You exchange details. If the person with the damage decides to make an insurance claim, they send details to their insurer, who investigates the basic facts, and if they agree there is a legitimate claim, pays for the repairs. The insurer then pursues your insurer to get the money back - so your insurer then increases your premiums to recover what you cost them. It will cost you a fortune as a new driver.

However, if there is any doubt at all, any shared responsibility or the cost of damage is quite low, then it can cost the damaged car driver more than it is worth to make a formal claim. So if it is just a couple of hundred quid or so of damage, they will likely get a quote and come back to you and ask if you are prepared to pay, and not get the insurers involved.

If you are a new driver, it's almost certainly better value for you to pay for the repairs directly and keep the insurers out of it! However, you have to make sure you are paying a reasonable amount, because basically you are agreeing to pay repairs for a stranger's car. If you know a mechanic you trust, you might want to ask them for advice and a check of the quote.

As the person said they will contact you when they get a quote, it sounds like they also don't want to get the insurers involved.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully they decide to resolve privately, otherwise you'll get a claim to your name and lose your NCB. However to say your premium will rocket up is just unnecessary and untrue. More often than not, the premium will increase a negligible amount most the time. This is why your insurance cost a crap load in the first place. So worse comes to worse you may lose your NCB.

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

Yesterday I was driving down a slow road and had a minor hit on a car.
    My car took no damage, but the other car did, and it will be needing some repairs.I was driving around 5 miles.(there was no injury to any persons, just damage to the body of the other persons car).

We exchanged details, and the person told me that they will call me back after getting a quote for a repair from a repair centre.

Do I need to do anything? I am not very experienced, so not sure if I should be doing anything, and starting to panic a bit.

Will this affect my insurance or have a bad impact on my driving history (this is my first few weeks of having insurance).

Thanks, really need your help
    I think you did the right thing but you should never admit fault or apologise when this kind of thing happens. Apologising is admitting you were at fault.

Try to exaggerate any injuries to yourself even if you're not injured. I'm not saying claim for fake injuries but it might get sympathy and an apology from the other motorist.

Always ensure you have protected no claims bonus.

Then get a push bike.....its a lot less hassle for you, when you crash it lol! Driving is a mugs game!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really matter if you admit fault or not as the third party can just claim you did anyway. Someone did that to me, basically overtook me while I was turning right at a junction (more fool him - I was in my freelander and he was in a little peugeot), and claimed that I had admitted fault at the roadside (I didn't) and also tried to claim that I had been on the phone, based on the fact that when I got out to take pictures I used my phone to do it. In the end it went to small claims court.

Take it from me, if it is only a small amount it is easier to pay up than it is to drag it through insurance. As a new driver I am assuming you have a high excess anyway? If the repair cost is less than your excess there is no real advantage to going through insurance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.