Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can it still use the equations, SUVAT, when considering motion in 2 dimensions.
    Obviously we can still use  \mathbf{s}=\mathbf{u}t+1/2 \mathbf{a}t^2 but can we also still use
     \mathbf{v}^2 = \mathbf{u}^2 + 2\mathbf{a}s as you're squaring a vector which obviously you can't do?
    In this case would you just square each of the components of the vector in the i, j (and k) directions and treat it like that instead?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by Ano9901whichone)
    Can it still use the equations, SUVAT, when considering motion in 2 dimensions.
    Obviously we can still use  \mathbf{s}=\mathbf{u}t+1/2 \mathbf{a}t^2 but can we also still use
     \mathbf{v}^2 = \mathbf{u}^2 + 2\mathbf{a}s as you're squaring a vector which obviously you can't do?
    In this case would you just square each of the components of the vector in the i, j (and k) directions and treat it like that instead?
    Provisionally, yes.

You need to treat the motion in the i,j (and k in 3D) directions separately.

Some will work as vector equations, as long as you're not "multiplying" two vectors together. So, v=u+at and s=ut+(1/2)at^2.

You could even define vector multiplication as being componentwise and then use the other equations as well - but this is to the best of my knowledge a non-standard usage/definition. I wouldn't recommend it for an exam.

Effectively you're just using the vector notation to represent two or three equations.

Note in  \mathbf{v}^2 = \mathbf{u}^2 + 2\mathbf{as} , both "a" and "s" are vectors - a typo, I presume.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose there isn't an absolute need to do it in vector form right?
    I suppose you could right  \mathbf{v}^2_i = \mathbf{u}^2_i + 2\mathbf{a}_i \mathbf{s}_i .
    (Yes I meant to make s bold as well).
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I suppose there isn't an absolute need to do it in vector form right
    I have seen markschemes use vectors for the equations where you don't have to multiply two vectors together.

I suppose you could right  \mathbf{v}^2_i = \mathbf{u}^2_i + 2\mathbf{a}_i \mathbf{s}_i .
    (Yes I meant to make s bold as well).
    When refering to components (coordinates) of vectors, it's standard practice not to use bold. Just use bold for the vector itself, so:

\mathbf{v}=(v_1,v_2,v_3), for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    I have seen markschemes use vectors for the equations where you don't have to multiply two vectors together.

When refering to components (coordinates) of vectors, it's standard practice not to use bold. Just use bold for the vector itself, so:

\mathbf{v}=(v_1,v_2,v_3), for example.
    I see.
    If I may ask, what level of maths have you studied to? You seem very knowledgable in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    I see.
    If I may ask, what level of maths have you studied to? You seem very knowledgable in the subject.
    I can confirm what ghostwalker said; in fact, when you look deeper into such simple sounding problems, it's amazing how it remains fundamentally simple despite potentially being in a very complex scenario.
    As for level, my experience says Uni level, but I wouldn't be surprised if some more advanced A-level mechanics topics delve into this

ReputationRep:
    For v^2 = u^2 + 2as, replace multiplication with the dot product (v^2 is then the square of the magnitude of the vector v, same for u^2, and 'as' is the dot product of vectors a and s. This equation is just the work-energy principle (change in kinetic energy of body = work done on body).
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I see.
    If I may ask, what level of maths have you studied to?
    It's in my profile.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 27, 2016

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.