Work experience required after an offer Watch

Manjjj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys!

Is there anyone else who has been made an offer on a PGCE secondary course but is required to take a week of primary school experience before starting in September ?

Have you managed to arrange something? I keep getting told that there's no places when I phone up schools!
travelfiend
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am doing a secondary PGCE so I had to do a week in a secondary school as part of my offer, which I managed to do. However my uni also asked me to do a week in a primary school to learn about the transition between KS2 and 3. I must have been in touch with at least 12 schools and either heard nothing back or was turned down, it seems really difficult to get primary experience =/ if I were you, I would get in touch with the school or university you have a place with and ask them for advice/if they can put you in touch with any primary schools.
Manjjj
Rep:
?
(Original post by travelfiend)
I am doing a secondary PGCE so I had to do a week in a secondary school as part of my offer, which I managed to do. However my uni also asked me to do a week in a primary school to learn about the transition between KS2 and 3. I must have been in touch with at least 12 schools and either heard nothing back or was turned down, it seems really difficult to get primary experience =/ if I were you, I would get in touch with the school or university you have a place with and ask them for advice/if they can put you in touch with any primary schools.
It is proving to be very difficult. I was wondering whether I was the only one thinking this! The university have said that they can't help and that we must find one ourselves.
TraineeLynsey
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Manjjj)
It is proving to be very difficult. I was wondering whether I was the only one thinking this! The university have xsaid that they can't help and that we must find one ourselves.
How are you phrasing your request?

SATs have only just finished in year 2 and year 6, so schools may have been too focussed on them to really consider your request. We just had a moderator in yesterday looking at year 2 work, so it's still all go.

Try again after half term when schools will be easing off a bit as they head toward the summer holidays. There will be so much one-off stuff going on in school that most places will appreciate an extra pair of hands.

I'm assuming you tried your own old school? What about asking any teachers you know?
Manjjj
Rep:
?
(Original post by TraineeLynsey)
How are you phrasing your request?

SATs have only just finished in year 2 and year 6, so schools may have been too focussed on them to really consider your request. We just had a moderator in yesterday looking at year 2 work, so it's still all go.

Try again after half term when schools will be easing off a bit as they head toward the summer holidays. There will be so much one-off stuff going on in school that most places will appreciate an extra pair of hands.

I'm assuming you tried your own old school? What about asking any teachers you know?

I was given a draft letter by the university, so have been using that as a guide. Have been explaining what I'm currently doing and why I'd like to do some work experience with the school. I hope you're right about things easing off after half term. It's worrying that every school seems to be saying no. I tried my old school, yes, and was told they have too many volunteers so can't help. Unfortunately I don't really know of any primary school teachers.
Powersymphonia
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Phone up more primary schools and say that you would like to do some in class observation because you are going to train as a primary school teacher. Say that you would like to observe outstanding teachers and you are committed to professional development. Another good thing to say is that you would like an insight into how people in different job roles work together in education. If you haven't gotten one already, get a DBS check done and tell the school that you have this. A lot of schools will not let you visit the school without a police check clearance because of strict safeguarding legislation.
JaneBaratheon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When were you told this was a requirement? I only ask as I have a secondary place, but have not been told this is a requirement prior to starting (though I think we do a week or two in a primary at the end of the course).

Just wondering if this is likely to be sprung on me when the course information arrives.
Manjjj
Rep:
?
(Original post by Powersymphonia)
Phone up more primary schools and say that you would like to do some in class observation because you are going to train as a primary school teacher. Say that you would like to observe outstanding teachers and you are committed to professional development. Another good thing to say is that you would like an insight into how people in different job roles work together in education. If you haven't gotten one already, get a DBS check done and tell the school that you have this. A lot of schools will not let you visit the school without a police check clearance because of strict safeguarding legislation.
Thanks for this, I will keep trying. I only applied for a DBS check a few days ago, as this was when I was sent details, and as far as I know it can take some time for this to be done and the certificate to arrive!
Manjjj
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaneBaratheon)
When were you told this was a requirement? I only ask as I have a secondary place, but have not been told this is a requirement prior to starting (though I think we do a week or two in a primary at the end of the course).

Just wondering if this is likely to be sprung on me when the course information arrives.
I was told *properly* about 2 weeks before I started looking for schools, so about 3 weeks ago now. Where are you going to be studying?
ParadoxSocks
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was told *properly* about 2 weeks before I started looking for schools, so about 3 weeks ago now. Where are you going to be studying?
It seems a very cruel requirement. Getting any experience in schools is very difficult but to sort it at short notice without a DBS check is going to be stressful.

The main piece of advice I was given is to say that it's not just an observation but offer to help in some way. Perhaps helping with reading or working with a little group. That's how I swung my secondary in my favour.

It seems harsh for secondary to require primary experience though - we had a primary placement lasting three days and we did it as a whole group to make our lives easier.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi guys!

Is there anyone else who has been made an offer on a PGCE secondary course but is required to take a week of primary school experience before starting in September ?

Have you managed to arrange something? I keep getting told that there's no places when I phone up schools!
Do you have any friends who are teachers? Or people with kids at primary school. I put the word out with friends, friends of friends and with our local primary attended by my son. I found that them vouching for me was very successful and I got an In to about three or four schools. Seriously, spread your net far and wide and call in as many favours as you can.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (1)
7.69%
The paper was reasonable (7)
53.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (2)
15.38%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
23.08%

Watched Threads